Chocolate Chip Scones
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Tender chocolate chip scones bursting with chunks of chocolate and a hint of lemon. My love affair with scones began after making blueberry scones a few summers ago. They were the perfect accompaniment with my morning cup of tea. Just like all of the other scones on my blog, you can freeze a few and pop them into the oven to have freshly baked scones on a busy morning. Just freeze on a baking sheet until firm, tightly wrap in plastic wrap and place in a ziploc freezer bag. When you are ready to bake just pop them into the oven straight from the freezer. No need to thaw, just add a few more minutes to the baking time.
These melt in your mouth scones come together in less than 30 minutes.
How to make Chocolate Chip Scones:
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Chocolate Chip Scones
- 1 3/4 cups plus 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons 3/4 stick chilled unsalted butter, diced
- 1 teaspoon packed grated lemon peel
- 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chilled buttermilk
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Combine 1 3/4 cups plus 3 tablespoons flour, cocoa powder, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process with six 1-second pulses.
- Remove cover of food processor and sprinkle the butter evenly over the dry ingredients. Add the grated lemon zest. Cover and process with 12 1-second pulses.
- In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk, egg yolk and vanilla to blend.
- Transfer dough to a large bowl. Mix in chocolate chips. Stir in buttermilk mixture until dough begins to form.
- Transfer the dough to a countertop and shape into an 8-inch circle.
- With a sharp knife or pizza wheel, cut the dough into 8 wedges.
- Place wedges on an ungreased baking sheet and brush scones lightly with milk; sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven 18 to 20 minutes or until tops of scones are crusty. Transfer to a wire rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!