These buttery shortbread cookies topped with dark chocolate, sprinkled with chopped peppermint candy, and drizzled with white chocolate are sure to put you in the holiday spirit! These cookies were so much fun to make! Smashing the candy canes was a great stress reliever. 😉 I placed the candy canes in a ziploc bag and slammed it on the floor, banged it on the kitchen counter, and smashed it with a hammer. I am sure my neighbors were wondering what in the world was going on.
If they only knew, they would have been knocking down my door to get these awesome cookies. If you aren’t in the holiday spirt yet, these yummy cookies are sure to brighten your day!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- 6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red-and-white striped hard peppermint candies or candy canes (about 3 ounces)
- 2 ounces high-quality white chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 13 x 9 x 2-inch metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Put a long piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan pushing it into corners and letting the parchment extend up the two short sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. Fit second sheet of parchment paper in pan in same manner, perpendicular to first sheet. Spray sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt; set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitter with the paddle attachment, beat butter until creamy, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Beat in vanilla, then egg yolk. Gradually add flour mixture, beating on low speed until just moistened.
- Using moistened fingers, pat mixture evenly into prepared pan and pierce all over with a fork. Bake until crust is light brown and slightly puffed and edges begin to come away from sides of pan, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and scatter the chocolate pieces evenly over the crust. Return the pan to the oven for 1 minute. Remove the pan again and, using a knife, spread the chocolate evenly over the crust. Sprinkle evenly with chopped peppermint candies.
- In a medium bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, Stir white chocolate until melted and smooth. Remove from over water. Using fork, drizzle white chocolate all over cookies.
- Cool on wire rack for 1 hour or until white chocolate is set. Remove bars from pan using parchment handles and transfer to cutting board. Cut cookie into irregular pieces.