Delicious and moist holiday bread bursting with tart cranberries, toasted pecans, and a hint of orange. This is a great recipe for anyone that deserves something homemade this holiday season. Wrap in cellophane wrap and decorate with a bow and you have the perfect holiday gift for teachers, the mail carrier, neighbors, or anyone else who deserves this amazing bread.
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped coarse
- 1 tablespoon grated zest from 1 large orange
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries (6 ounces), chopped coarse
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease bottom and sides of a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan; dust with flour, tapping out excess.
- Spread the pecans onto a baking sheet and place in preheated oven 5-7 minutes until fragrant. Shake the baking sheet halfway through baking so the nuts will toast evenly. Remove nuts from oven and set aside to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, stir together orange juice, zest, buttermilk, butter, and egg; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in large bowl. Stir liquid ingredients into the dry until just moistened. Gently stir in cranberries and pecans. Do not overmix.
- Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth surface with a rubber spatula. Bake 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees; continue to bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean, about 45 minutes longer. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool completely before serving, at least 1 hour.