Delicious Apple Crumb Cake Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Want a Delicious Apple Crumb Cake Recipe? If so, this is the cake for you. This is a fresh apple cake recipe that brings together a moist cake with the taste of fresh apples. Bring this an easy apple crumb cake to your table this fall.
Fall is known for its flavors. With pumpkin spice so well-loved, people forget about apples. Apples are in season during the fall and that means the apples have their best flavor and you can get them at the best price of the season.
While there are many apple dessert recipes, this is one of my favorites.
What are the best apples for this fresh apple cake recipe?
When it comes to finding the best apples for a fresh apple cake isn’t hard. However, there are over 200 varieties. You want to have an apple that will hold up well when it is baked. It needs to soften enough but not turn to mush.
There are some apples that fall apart completely when it is baked and others that do not soften at all. Whenever I make this cake I like to choose a tart apple because it goes well with the sugar.
The sweet and sour is perfect. I like to use Granny Smith apples in this fresh apple cake.
How to Store Apple Crumb Cake
When you make this cake, if you do not eat it all right away, you will want to make sure to store it properly. The apple crumb cake can be stored at room temperature but it is very important that you make sure the cake is covered.
Covering the cake with plastic wrap or a cake cover will keep the cake from going stale and will keep the cake fresh for up to 5 days.
Can this Cake Be Frozen
If you will not eat all of this cake before it goes bad, you can move it to the freezer.
I like to cut the cake into slices or into quarters so that I can take pieces of the cake out of the freezer to make sure that the pieces coming out of the freezer will not go bad before they get eaten. This is a great way to keep the cake on hand for whenever the craving for fresh apple cake hits. Wrap the cake or slices of cake in plastic wrap. Once the cake is wrapped, move the pieces to a freezer bag. This gives the cake double protection against freezer burn. On the freezer bag, write the name of the cake and the date it was made.
This will help keep the cake together in one place and it also lets you know what you have in the bag and how long it will last.
Do I have to make this an apple bundt cake?
When I make this apple bundt cake I like to make it in a bundt pan. I like the way it looks after being cut. However, if you wanted to make this cake in another pan, you certainly can. You can make it as a loaf cake. Spread it out and make it in a 9*13 cake. This cake can be made in 2 8 inch pans witha layer of crumbs in the middle. You can even make it into muffins. The only thing that changes when you make this cake in a different pan is the cook time and that will depend on the pan.
Ingredients for apple crumb cake
- light brown sugar
- unsalted sweet cream butter
- pure vanilla extract
- granny smith apples
- full fat sour cream
- baking soda
- kosher salt
- baking powder
- powdered sugar
- apple cider
How to make an easy apple crumble cake recipe
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line the bottom of a 9in springform pan with parchment paper and spray the insides of the springform pan with baking spray, set aside
Using a medium bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg and whisk till combined
Mix in the melted butter and vanilla and then set aside
Using a standing mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until combined
Add in the egg, one at a time, beating well after each egg
Mix in the vanilla and sour cream until combined
Whisk together the four, baking soda, salt and baking powder until combined in a medium bowl
Gradually mix in the dry ingredients in with the wet until combined
Scoop half of the cake batter into the prepared springform pan
Spread your diced apples on top of the batter
Sprinkle half of your streusle onto the apples
Pour remaining batter onto the crumbs and top with the rest of the streusel
Bake in the oven for 40-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
Allow to cool completely on the counter before removing springform pan
In a small bowl, whisk together the icing ingredients until combined and smooth
Drizzle onto the cooled cake and enjoy!
Save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Apple Crumb Cake
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 1/2 C light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 C unsalted sweet cream butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Apple Cake ingredients:
- 2 large granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced small
- 1/2 C unsalted sweet cream butter, softed
- 1 C sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 C full fat sour cream
- 2 C flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
Cinnamon apple glaze ingredients:
- 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp apple cider
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we'll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line the bottom of a 9in springform pan with parchment paper and spray the insides of the springform pan with baking spray, set aside
- Using a medium bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg and whisk till combined
- Mix in the melted butter and vanilla and then set aside
- Using a standing mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until combined
- Add in the egg, one at a time, beating well after each egg
- Mix in the vanilla and sour cream until combined
- Whisk together the four, baking soda, salt and baking powder until combined in a medium bowl
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients in with the wet until combined
- Scoop half of the cake batter into the prepared springform pan
- Spread your diced apples on top of the batter
- Sprinkle half of your streusle onto the apples
- Pour remaining batter onto the crumbs and top with the rest of the streusel
- Bake in the oven for 40-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool completely on the counter before removing springform pan
- In a small bowl, whisk together the icing ingredients until combined and smooth
- Drizzle onto the cooled cake and enjoy!
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
More Apple Desserts
- Apple Crumble Bars – This apple crumble bars are so good and so simple to make, you will be making them all the time. To prove how easy these are, the crust and the topping are the same exact thing. You can use a combination of sweet and sour apples to give this cake an amazing flavor.
- Instant Pot Apple Cake Recipe – Haven’t made a cake in the Instant Pot yet? What are you waiting for? This Instant Pot Apple Cake has the perfect amount of cinnamon to apple ratio.
- Caramel Apple Crescent Roll Dessert – Looking for a new caramel apple dessert? This crescent roll dessert is perfect for an easy weeknight or for a dessert for friends and family.
- Three Layer Apple Spice Cake Recipe – If you love apple spice cake, you are going to love the cinnamon frosting that is on top. Moist and delicious, you might want to eat the whole thing by yourself.