These One Pan/Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas are an easy, tasty weeknight meal made with an easy homemade fajita seasoning. This sheet pan recipe is so versatile, and the flavor is beyond amazing. Once the chicken fajitas hit your tongue, your taste buds will be begging you for another bite! It’s totally okay to give in to them.
Easy, healthy dinners are what this blog is all about, and I’ve certainly found a winner here with these easy chicken fajitas. Not only are these chicken fajitas quick and easy, you only need ONE pan to make them, which means that clean-up literally takes seconds! Plus, when you make baked chicken fajitas, you don’t have to keep a close watch on them cooking so you can do a few other chores instead.
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
I love to serve oven fajitas for dinner guests because they rave about them and I get all the credit knowing they were pretty much effortless to throw together. Serve the sheet pan fajitas with refried beans, rice, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, and cilantro, and you have a meal made for a king!
Sheet Pan Recipe
The ingredients in these sheet pan chicken fajitas are so simple too – chicken, bell peppers, yellow onion, and fajita seasoning. I will go into it a little bit later, but there are lots of ways to add in other flavors too! No matter how you serve these sheet pan chicken fajitas, you will find that they are finger-licking good!
I used skinless chicken thighs because they’re cheaper and, in my opinion, more flavorful but if you have chicken breasts on hand, you can use those too. For the bell peppers, this one pan chicken fajita recipe is best with one green, one red and one yellow pepper first, because each color has a slightly different taste but also because the variety of colors adds vibrancy to this dish and it looks so much nicer being served.
While technically you can use prepared fajita mix for these sheet pan chicken fajitas, I always prefer to make my own and included that in this recipe. It’s so easy, and you know exactly what is in it, as opposed to the packaged fajita seasoning from the store. It’s also nice to have a large batch of seasoning on hand so I can grab it whenever I need some!
Served on a warm tortilla, these One Pan/Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas can make a complete meal but I also sometimes serve them with rice, as you would sometimes get in a Mexican or Tex Mex restaurant. If I’m feeling super healthy or watching my carbs, I’ll ditch the tortilla and make a chicken fajita salad. So yummy and healthy!
How To Make Chicken Fajitas
Is there anything more amazing than the smell of freshly cooked chicken fajitas? I really don’t think there is. As soon as the aroma hits you, your stomach will begin to growl, and you may even drool a little! Okay, now that I know you are super hungry and craving these baked chicken fajitas we can get started.
Step 1: Begin by preheating the oven to 425 degrees F.
Step 2: Prepare a sheet pan by lining it with parchment paper.
NOTE: If you don’t have parchment paper on hand, don’t worry, you can also use aluminum foil. Make sure to give it a quick spray of non-stick cooking spray, and you will be all set.
Step 3: In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, onion powder, and garlic powder for the oven fajitas seasoning.
Step 4: Next, thinly slice the chicken thighs into strips for the sheet pan fajitas.
NOTE: Place half of the fajita seasoning all over the chicken. Make sure to save some of the seasonings for later.
Step 5: Place pieces of chicken on one end of the sheet pan.
Step 6: Thinly slice all three bell peppers and the onion. Place each in a row on the sheet pan. Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil and coat with the remaining fajita seasoning. Mix all the chicken and veggies together and bake for 20 minutes.
Can you believe it’s that easy to make baked chicken fajitas right in the comfort of your own home? When they have finished cooking, remove from the oven and enjoy on flour tortillas! You can add the juice of 1 lime and sprinkle with fresh cilantro for some extra flavor.
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas Variations
Making this sheet pan recipe just the way it is, is completely fine and absolutely delicious! However, you know how much I love to leave you will little tips to try along the way. Here are some fabulous ways to enjoy your oven fajitas even more:
- Shrimp – Don’t have any chicken on hand? No problem, replace the chicken with some shrimp! Holy cow, it’s incredible! Or if you are feeling extra daring, do half chicken and half fajitas.
- Steak – Adding steak is a perfect way to get even more yummy flavor and textures in this sheet pan recipe.
- Sausage – Use your favorite sausage links and cut them into discs. Cook them with the veggies, and you are going to fall in love.
- Garlic – Roast some garlic and sprinkle on the sheet pan. It goes with almost all meals, and these oven fajitas are a perfect match.
- Tomatoes – If you love roasted vegetables, you will be excited to know you can add some slivered tomatoes to the sheet pan fajitas.
How Do You Store Leftover Easy Chicken Fajitas?
There are a couple of options to store these leftover easy chicken fajitas. Always place them in an airtight container. They need to be refrigerated within a couple of hours of cooking, but they will last 3-4 days without any issues.
I usually like to store the fajitas out of the tortilla shells, but if I am meal planning, sometimes I will wrap the chicken fajita mixture up in a tortilla and place it tightly in aluminum foil. Then place them in an airtight container, like a large freezer bag, then freeze them. You will have an easy to grab lunch idea in a hurry! They will last three months so that you can plan ahead a little bit.
To warm up the easy chicken fajitas, simply place in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. I like to cover them with a paper towel, so I don’t end up with a mess. Keep warming them until they reach the temperature you prefer.
When To Serve Sheet Pan Fajitas
Obviously, oven fajitas are perfect for those hectic weeknights when you don’t have time for some extravagant meal. However, they seriously go with almost any event you can think of. If you are hosting an event or are in charge of making the food, you can create sheet pan fajitas for a crowd easily. Here are some times when this chicken fajita recipe will be perfect:
- Weddings – All the guests go wild for oven chicken fajitas because they are something different. Plus, fajitas are just so much fun, and they can be fancy too!
- Reunions – Make a bunch of this chicken fajita recipe and watch them disappear because no one can get enough. Save money by using thighs instead of breasts.
- Birthday Parties – Cake and ice cream are a given at birthday parties, but why not liven up the event with this easy fajita recipe.
- Barbecues – You can even make these chicken fajitas on the grill if you wanted. Follow the instructions as directed and instead of baking them, use your barbecue grill. You will get a nice smokey flavor, and that sizzle is heavenly.
What Kind Of Toppings Do You Put On Fajitas
You can literally put any kind of topping on these yummy oven fajitas that you can think of. Here are some of our household favorites:
- Cheese – Everything tastes better with a little bit of cheese! Use Mexican blend, cheddar, queso, or any other variety that strikes the mood.
- Salsa – So good! You can’t go wrong with adding some salsa, whether it’s homemade or store bought.
- Guacamole – Add some rich and creamy guacamole, and you will be even more hooked to this sheet pan recipe.
- Rice – Yes, rice makes a perfect topping or filling for these tasty fajitas.
- Cilantro – Is it even Mexican food if it doesn’t have a least a little bit of cilantro?
These One Pan/Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas are an easy, tasty weeknight meal made with an easy homemade fajita seasoning. You can also easily swap out the chicken for shrimp to make sheet pan shrimp fajitas. Yum!
- 1 lb. of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 bell peppers (1 green, 1 red, 1 yellow)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 pkg of 8 small flour tortillas
- Optional – 1 lime
- Optional – Fresh cilantro
- Homemade Fajita Seasoning:
- 1 Tbsp of chili powder
- 1 Tbsp of cumin
- 1 Tbsp of paprika
- 1/2 tsp of oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare a sheet pan with parchment paper. (Aluminum foil or the sheet pan itself also works. Just be sure to spray with non-stick spray.)
- In a small bowl, mix everything for the homemade fajita seasoning. Set aside.
- Thinly slice the chicken thighs into fajita size slices. Season with salt and pepper. Then add HALF of the fajita seasoning, coating all of the chicken well. Place the chicken on one side of the sheet pan.
- Thinly slice all 3 bell peppers and the onion. Place each in a row on the sheet pan. Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil and coat with the remaining fajita seasoning.
- Now mix everything together, the chicken and vegetables.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy on flour tortillas! You can add the juice of 1 lime and sprinkle with fresh cilantro for some extra flavor.
Rather than lining the veggies up on the sheet pan, you can also easily throw them all in a bowl and add the olive oil and seasoning there. Then mix them with the chicken on the sheet pan.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 208