These Sweet Potato Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting are incredibly moist, thick, and delicious! With Thanksgiving about three weeks away, I have been planning the menu for a few weeks now.
I was thinking of making the Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting that I posted a few weeks ago. They were such a hit with my family and friends, however, I wondered how a Sweet Potato Bar would taste. So I set off to the kitchen with this recipe in my head and my mouth-watering as I kept thinking of how delicious it would have to be. Two of my favorite things to cook with this time of year are pumpkins and sweet potatoes!
If you are pressed for time and do not want to bake the sweet potatoes in the oven you can use the canned sweet potatoes and mash them. Either way, you will have a Thanksgiving dessert that is sure to impress and keep your guests coming back for more.
For the Sweet Potato Bar:
- 4 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 by 9-inch baking pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the eggs, sugar, oil and sweet potato on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.
- Hand mix the dry ingredients into the sweet potato mixture until just combined. Do not overmix. Spread the batter into the prepared 13 by 9-inch baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the sugar and mix at low speed until combined. Stir in the vanilla and mix again. Spread on cooled sweet potato bars.
Source: adapted from Paula Deen