If you love apple cupcakes, I have the recipe for you. Apple cupcakes with apple pie filling! Can it get any better? Maybe because these cupcakes are easy to make as well. You have to try these cupcakes.
Insanely Good Apple Cupcakes
I love apple pie. I love to take the apple pie flavors and make them into something new. That is why these apple pie cupcakes are so good, I have to share. Using a cake mix as a base, these cupcakes are easy to make and taste so good.
The Ease of Cake Mix Cupcakes
While I love making cupcakes from scratch, I really love the taste of the spice cake mix. It gives a delicious flavor that I haven’t quite mastered to make on my own. Not to mention, sometimes, cake mix cupcakes are just easier. Less measuring and mixing. With these cake mix cupcakes, the taste is fabulous. When you top the spice cake mix cupcakes with the apple pie filling and the best buttercream recipe, these are absolutely perfect apple cupcakes.
How to Make Apple Pie Filling
This is one of the easiest apple pie filling recipes. Made completely homemade, it is the perfect complement to these apple cupcakes. Made simply with butter, apples, sugar, water, cinnamon, and cornstarch, this apple pie filling can be used for these cupcakes or you can use it to make little apple pies. Increase the recipe and use it to make apple pies.
The Best Buttercream Recipe
This is the best buttercream recipe for these apple cupcakes. Made with sweet cream butter and cinnamon, it brings out the flavors in this cupcake very nicely. While you could omit the cinnamon, I feel it works so well with the cupcakes that I only use this buttercream recipe when I make them.
Ingredients in Apple Cupcakes with Apple Pie Topping
- spice cake mix
- eggs room
- unsalted sweet cream butter
- whole milk
- gala apples
- ground cinnamon
- powder sugar
- heavy whipping cream
- large piping bag, fitted with a star tip
How to Make Apple Cupcakes with Apple Pie Topping
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Using a standing mixer, combine the cake mix, eggs, milk and butter, and mix until combined
Scoop cupcake batter into the liners, filling 3/4 way full
Bake in the oven for 21 minutes.
While the cupcakes are baking, make the apple pie filling
Apple Pie topping directions
Using a medium pot, melt the butter
Stir in the apples, sugar, and cinnamon.
Mix in 1 C of water until combined and bring to a low simmer
In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 C of water with the cornstarch, and whisk lightly until smooth.
Add the cornstarch mixture to the apples and cook 1-2 minutes more, until the mixture has thickened.
Let cool completely
Using a stand mixer, combine all ingredients and mix on medium speed.
Mix until you see stiffed peaks in your frosting and scoop into piping bag
Using the frosting, pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes, making sure to keep the tip of the frosting flat so that the apple pie filling can sit on the frosting
Scoop about 1-2 tbsp of the apple pie filling onto the top of the cupcakes
Want More Fall Dessert Recipes
- Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake Recipe – This flavorful pumpkin spice coffee cake is a yummy treat just in time for all the fall weather that’s coming. Once you taste this pumpkin coffee cake, you will feel like you are living in food heaven.
- Pumpkin Meringue Pie Recipe – Pumpkin meringue pie has all the traditional flavors of pumpkin pie with even more pizzazz! You will find a delicious pumpkin pie filling topped with a luscious meringue.
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars Recipe – This moist, delicious, and easy to make pumpkin chocolate chip bars recipe is one of the best things you will ever taste. Is there seriously anything better than combining pumpkin and chocolate?
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars Recipe – These fantastic and scrumptious pumpkin cheesecake bars are perfect for fall weather! Every single bite is utterly delicious and hits the spot when you are craving all things pumpkin. Honestly, as soon as it’s jacket weather I get so happy because I know it’s the season for pumpkin desserts.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
- 1 box of spice cake mix
- 3 large eggs room temp
- 1/2 C of softened unsalted sweet cream butter
- 1 C whole milk
Apple Pie topping ingredients:
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 cups peeled and chopped gala apples
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 C water
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 C unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 2 1/2 C powder sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 3-5 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- 1 large piping bag, fitted with a star tip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Using a standing mixer, combine the cake mix, eggs, milk and butter and mix until combined
- Scoop cupcake batter into the liners, filling 3/4 way full
- Bake in the oven for 21 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the apple pie filling
Apple Pie topping directions:
- Using a medium pot, melt the butter
- Stir in the apples, sugar and cinnamon.
- Mix in 1 C of water until combined and bring to a low simmer
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 C of water with the cornstarch, and whisk lightly until smooth.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the apples and cook 1-2 minutes more, until the mixture has thickened.
- Let cool completely
- Using a stand mixer, combine all ingredients and mix on medium speed.
- Mix until you see stiffed peaks in your frosting and scoop into piping bag
- Decorating Directions:
- Using the frosting, pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes, making sure to keep the tip of the frosting flat so that the apple pie filling can sit on the frosting
- Scoop about 1-2 tbsp of the apple pie filling onto the top of the cupcakes
Makes 22 Cupcakes
More Sweet Breakfast Treats
Whether you are using these sweet treats as part of a special breakfast or brunch, you can not go wrong with these delicious baked goodies.
Sweet Breakfast Bake with Chocolate Croissants – Want a special treat for breakfast? Wait until you try this Sweet Breakfast Bake with Chocolate Croissants. This is better than any store bought pastry you could buy.
PB &J Breakfast Bars Recipe – This is the perfect on the go breakfast. This PB&J Breakfast Bars Recipe makes the perfect peanut butter breakfast bars.
Easy Lemon Blueberry Bread Loaf – Want a delicious lemon blueberry bread recipe? I have a great tasting blueberry bread that everyone will love. This is the perfect recipe for breakfast, a snack or dessert.
Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting – Do you love pumpkin desserts? If you are crazy about pumpkin you will love these pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting. These moist pumpkin bars have all the best flavors of fall with a rich and creamy frosting.
Raspberry Cream Cheese Sweet Roll Recipe – Looking for a simple sweet roll recipe? This is a delicious Raspberry Cream Cheese Sweet Roll Recipe that will make a fantastic breakfast or brunch recipe.