Triple Chocolate Cupcakes

In honor of Cupcake Week I decided to make Triple Chocolate Cupcakes. I love making cupcakes and I realized as I was writing this post that this is the first cupcake recipe that I have posted! I will have to work on that! ;) These cupcakes are a chocolate lovers dream…rich devil’s food cupcakes bursting with a decadent chocolate ganache and topped with creamy chocolate buttercream frosting. I had to go into work early this morning for a staff meeting and I thought I might as well bring a tasty treat for the rest of my coworkers. I was so excited when I was making these cupcakes that I made a few with chocolate buttercream frosting and the rest with chocolate ganache just to see which one was the favorite. Chocolate lovers only please! :)

Triple Chocolate Cupcakes

• 4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • 12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 3/4 cup(1 1/2 sticks)unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 18 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups sour cream

1. To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350˚ F.  Line standard cupcake pans with liners. In a small bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder and hot water until smooth.  In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
  2. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the butter and the sugar. Stir to combine, until the butter is melted and remove from heat.  Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  Beat on medium-low speed, 4-5 minutes, until the mixture is cooled.  Mix in the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed and beating well after each addition.  Mix in the vanilla and then the cocoa mixture and beat until incorporated.  With the mixer on low speed add in the dry ingredients in two batches, alternating with the sour cream, beating just until combined.
  3. Divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners, filling them about ¾ of the way full.  Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, rotating the pans halfway through baking.  Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
  4. To make the ganache, place the chopped chocolate in a medium heat proof bowl.  In a small saucepan bring cream and corn syrup to a simmer over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and pour over chocolate. Let stand 2 minutes. Starting in the center and working outward, stir melted chocolate into cream until mixture is combined and smooth. Transfer the bowl to the refrigerator to chill and thicken.  Whisk every 5 minutes to help it cool evenly. Once the mixture is slightly thickened you are ready to fill the cupcakes.
  5. To assemble the cupcakes, place ganache filling into a decorating bag fitted with the number 230 round decorating tip. Insert the tip into the center of the cupcake and gently squeeze the ganache into the center of the cupcake. Repeat with remaining cupcakes.
  6. To make the frosting, melt the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl set over a pot of simmering water.  Stir until smooth and set aside to cool 20-30 minutes. Sift together confectioner’s sugar, cocoa, and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Gradually add sugar mixture and mix until incorporated. Beat in the melted and cooled chocolate and then the sour cream. Continue beating until the mixture is smooth and well blended. Place frosting into decorating bag fitted with the 1M decorating tip and approximately 1/4″ above cupcake top at a 90° angle to cupcake surface,  pipe a spiral of icing, beginning at the outer edge and working inward.

Source: adapted from Martha Stewart’s Cupcakes and Annie’s Eats

21 Responses to “Triple Chocolate Cupcakes”

mydanishkitchen — September 15, 2010 @ 7:19 am

Your chocolate cupcakes looks delishhh. Just can’t go wrong with chocolate. Great photos.

• Christina replied: — September 15th, 2010 @ 9:25 am

Thank you so much! I love chocolate anything…yummy! :) These are my favorite kind cupcakes!

beth — September 15, 2010 @ 8:59 am

mmm, they look even better than how you described them to me! i hope you took some milk or coffee in for your co-workers as well to go with these!

• Christina replied: — September 15th, 2010 @ 9:24 am

Hahaha…I should have! They went really quick…

gingerbreadcake — September 15, 2010 @ 10:05 am

Mmm I love chocolate, so you know triple chocolate makes me weak in the knees. ;) The pictures are beautiful and the cupcakes look absolutely delicious. I seriously want to bite that cupcake through my computer screen! :)

Kristen — September 15, 2010 @ 11:04 am

Oh, dear, those look fabulous! Pretty and yummy! Which version was the favorite??

torviewtoronto — September 15, 2010 @ 1:51 pm

looks delicious

Kim (Liv Life) — September 15, 2010 @ 2:17 pm

Triple, Chocolate, and Cupcakes…. put those three words together and you have heaven! Wow… I wish I worked with you! =)

Rebecca (Indecisive Baker) — September 15, 2010 @ 5:42 pm

Did you tally what the favorite was? They both look delish!

• Christina replied: — September 16th, 2010 @ 8:48 am

Thank you! Everyone at work loved both..however…the ones with the ganache topping were the favorite! I couldn’t decide, I liked both! :) The ones with the ganache frosting had a richer chocolate flavor.

Leanne — September 15, 2010 @ 5:46 pm

oh my… these looks like heaven!

Catherine — September 15, 2010 @ 6:27 pm

Yum! though looks great too!
    Thanks for the comments! Wishing you lots of luck with your run as well!! Which one is in Nov? NY? You’ll definatly enjoy it! The Barcelona run had been pretty great, though it did have a part that strenched on 4ever! hehehe. Some day I hope to do the NY or Boston run, but better prepared! :-D

• Christina replied: — September 17th, 2010 @ 11:27 pm

Thank you so much! I am running the one in the city I live in-Indianapolis, Indiana. I wanted to run the Chicago marathon but it was already soldout when I really decided I was going to do it. It would be nice to qualify for Boston-good luck to you! :)

Evan @swEEts — September 15, 2010 @ 7:35 pm

Holy Chocolate! These look delicious!!

Arlene — September 15, 2010 @ 9:55 pm

I just discovered your site and I think I’ve fallen in love! I have to make these cupcakes…thanks for sharing this delicious recipe.

• Christina replied: — September 17th, 2010 @ 11:29 pm

Thanks for commenting! Let me know how they turn out! Enjoy!

Marisa — September 16, 2010 @ 11:15 am

Chocolate-y goodness – who wouldn’t go crazy over these? That filling – my oh my.

Michelle Vackar — October 2, 2010 @ 8:58 am

I made this for my daughters birthday and they were awesome. It is now one of our family favorites. Thank you for sharing.

• Christina replied: — October 2nd, 2010 @ 2:48 pm

I am so happy that you and your family enjoyed the cupcakes so much! :) I took some to my work and they were a huge hit with my coworkers too!

14. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

15. Pingback: Pumpkin-Walnut Focaccia with Gruyère | Sweet Pea's Kitchen