Tzatziki is a popular Greek sauce that traditionally accompanies gyros, souvlaki, and calamari. This cooling combination of Greek yogurt mixed with garlic, cucumber, lemon juice and mint is also wonderful served as an appetizer with pita wedges, a spread for sandwiches, or thinned out with olive oil for a refreshing salad dressing.
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely diced
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- Peel, seed and finely dice the cucumber. Place the cucumber in paper towels and squeeze as much excess moisture as possible.
- Place the squeezed cucumber in a medium bowl and add the Greek yogurt, salt, lemon juice, garlic, and mint. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving. Serve with grilled pita wedges.
Source: adapted from Cook’s Illustrated, July 2007