Grand Cayman & No Bake Cookies and Cream Bars

Yesterday we arrived on the third leg of our June trip. After traveling from Miami to Key West to Cape Cod, we are now enjoying eight days of laying on the beach, scuba diving and great food in Grand Cayman. I love this place! Three years ago Andrew and I were married in the Cayman Islands on Seven Mile Beach. With twenty-three good friends and family we celebrated for a full week filled with scuba diving, great food, and fun! We were married at sunset on Seven Mile Beach at the Grand Cayman Beach Suites.

I walked down the aisle to the sound of a steel drum band. We read our handwritten vows to one another as I struggled to remember them thru my tears.

The wedding ceremony was incredible and we couldn’t have asked for a better setting.

After the reception we had cocktails and dinner at the beachside restaurant Hemingways.  The wedding cake was a rum cake with coconut cream filling and a luscious buttercream frosting.

Last night we celebrated our third wedding anniversary at the Grand Old House, a 103 year old plantation house right on the water’s edge over looking the Caribbean Sea. The views from the veranda are absolutely breathtaking. Three years ago we had our rehearsal dinner at the Grand Old House, so when we were thinking of where to have our anniversary dinner there was no question. Andrew ordered the Cayman Turtle Steak Scaloppini with fried avocado rice and a spicy pepper sauce. I ordered the daily fish special of blackened Mahi Mahi, jumbo crab cake and a grilled jumbo shrimp. The food was incredible and the view was just stunning.

Now onto a wonderful and super quick recipe for a crowd pleasing dessert. These No Bake Cookies and Cream Bars are a twist on the classic rice krispies treats. Made with Oreo Cookies instead of Rice Krispies! :)

No Bake Cookies and Cream Bars

These No Bake Cookies and Cream Bars are a twist on the classic rice krispies treats. Made with Oreo Cookies instead of Rice Krispies!

Yield: 16 bars

Ingredients:

One 16 oz package of Oreo Cookies
5 cups large marshmallows
4 tablespoons butter

Butter an 8X8 inch baking pan. Line the baking pan with parchment paper letting the paper extend up two sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. Butter paper; set pan aside.
In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade, process Oreos into fine crumbs; set aside.
In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat. Stir in ground Oreo Cookies until combined. Transfer to prepared baking pan. Using a piece of wax paper, press mixture evenly into prepared pan. Cool. Cut into squares. Best if served the same day.

Have you ever been to Grand Cayman? Did you enjoy it? Do you have any recommendations on what to see and do? How about a few no-miss restaurants? I’d love to hear them! :)

95 Responses to “Grand Cayman & No Bake Cookies and Cream Bars”

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — June 15, 2011 @ 7:42 pm

Happy anniversary, such great photos!!! Those bars sound easy and delicious!

WhatchaMakinNow? — June 15, 2011 @ 9:25 pm

Congrats on the 3 years! I love looking at wedding pictures and yours are beautiful! These no bake bars look so good….I’ll have to give them a try!

The Café Sucré Farine — June 16, 2011 @ 6:25 am

Fabulous photos, looks like such a beautiful wedding!
    And your bars sound quite delicious, how can you go wrong with those ingredients? Have fun, thanks, Chris

Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide — June 16, 2011 @ 7:56 am

Happy 3rd! Lovely photos, I can see why you love the place.

yumtherapy — June 16, 2011 @ 8:37 am

Wow, your wedding looked amazing! That is so sweet that you are spending your 3rd anniversary there :) I actually went to Grand Cayman last month, but only for a day because I was on a cruise. That was the one place I really wanted to stay for much longer! We managed to fit in an island tour and a snorkeling/Stingray City excursion by the company, Captain Marvin’s. It was great because the staff was very friendly and there were very few other people on the tour with us. If you haven’t done Stingray City yet, you should! It’s basically a sandbar full of stingrays…but they are used to people and will come right up to you. So if you go on one of the stingray excursions, you get to hold stringrays, feed them, and get some really cool pictures of the whole thing :) I also loved the snorkeling because the water in Grand Cayman was the clearest blue I have ever seen…but you probably already know that since you went scuba diving. My husband also really liked the turtle farm on the island tour. You get to see huge sea turtles and hold baby ones. I think you can also swim with them but we didn’t have time. There was also a place where you could swim with the dolphins across the street from the turtle farm. Oh, and you might as well check out the little town called “Hell” just to say you’ve been there… I got a kick out of sending a postcard back home postmarked from Hell :) And stock up on rum cakes…YUM! Well this was a long response but I just really loved the Cayman Islands, lol. Enjoy the rest of your vacation!!!

Amy — June 16, 2011 @ 9:58 am

Happy Anniversary!!! You look SO beautiful in your wedding photos…and your photographer did a great job! What great colors/light/shadow in all the shots. On another note, these bars look crazy good. I would never have thought to use anything besides another type of cereal in a rice krispie treat knock-off. Yum!

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 — June 16, 2011 @ 11:24 am

That is so fun to be able to visit the place where you got married again. Your wedding looks like it was wonderful. Have fun reminiscing down there!

juniakk @ mis pensamientos — June 16, 2011 @ 11:26 am

wow, sweet pea – you were such a beautiful bride!! happy wedding anniversary!!!

Michelle — June 16, 2011 @ 5:03 pm

I love the pictures of your wedding! I hope you’re enjoying your anniversary in Grand Cayman :-)

PS… the bars look awesome and so easy to make!

briarrose — June 16, 2011 @ 6:57 pm

Happy anniversary! Beautiful photos. It looks like it was a fabulous ceremony. :)

Caroline — June 16, 2011 @ 7:23 pm

Happy 3rd anniversary, Christina! Thanks for sharing these photos, they’re all absolutely gorgeous. And your dress was stunning! I definitely understand why you got married here, and are visiting again.

juliakrystine — June 17, 2011 @ 11:10 am

Your wedding cake sounds DELICIOUS, rum cake and coconut cream filling, swoon. Happy Anniversary! Im pretty pumped for some hot weather so I can justify making tons of no bake desserts!

The Teenage Taste — June 17, 2011 @ 11:44 pm

Happy Anniversary, Christina! Thanks for posting the wedding picture. You were a beautiful bride! :-D

Carol Armour — June 18, 2011 @ 12:00 am

We have been timeshare owners there since 1985. One restaurant our family and friends all agree is a must do is called “Calypso Grill.” It can be difficult to get in there at times but well worth it. Also check out the beautiful tile work in the observation deck at Camana Bay.

• Christina replied: — June 18th, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

We went to Calypso Grill for dinner last night and it was amazing! :) I ordered the Jamaican Jerk Curry Jumbo Shrimp and my husband ordered the Mahi Mahi Escoveitch. We sat outside on the deck overlooking Morgan’s Harbour and watched a pretty awesome lighting storm in the distance over the ocean. We absolutely loved it and the setting was perfect! :)

Jenny (VintageSugarcube) — June 21, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

Gorrrrrrgeous pics!! Happy Anniversary. And I’m making those bars PRONTO!! Sooo right up my alley. XOXO

Lucie — June 22, 2011 @ 11:10 am

Beautiful photos! Congratulations on your anniversary!

AmyS, Cedar Rapids, IA — June 24, 2011 @ 10:31 am

I have been following your blog since last November when I made the pumpkin fudge. I have made many of these recipes since. But, I have to say…I was nervous about this recipe when I was at the point of mixing the three ingredients together. The texture is so weird! But, I have to say…they turned out just like yours and were a huge success at work yesterday! Thanks for your many interesting recipes!

• Christina replied: — July 2nd, 2011 @ 5:03 pm

Amy,
      I am so glad that you and your co-workers enjoyed these bars. I was a bit nervous as well when I first made them…the texture is very different! But the final product was delicious and sooo super easy to make! :D

18. Pingback: Oreo Rice Krispies….without the Krispies!! « Jackatessa's Blog

19. Pingback: Crunchy Peanut Butter Dog Treats | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

Jenn (Cookies Cupcakes Cardio) — July 6, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

Your pictures are beautiful! I’m thinking that this bar is a good, easy replacement for the day-to-day taste of a rice krispie bar! They look delicious….do they taste like an Oreo truffle?

• Christina replied: — July 7th, 2011 @ 6:11 pm

They are really good…they don’t really taste like a truffle just because there is no cream cheese in them. Kinda like a rice krispie treat but Oreo flavored. :)

Kara — July 6, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

I made these a few weeks ago, they were super good. I will be postin about them this week. Thanks!

• Christina replied: — July 7th, 2011 @ 6:23 pm

I so glad that you enjoyed them! :D

22. Pingback: Oreo Bars | livelovepasta

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — July 7, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

Those look amazing! I love how simple the ingredients are. YUM!

24. Pingback: S’mores Bars | chocolate & carrots

25. Pingback: No Bake Cookies & Cream Bars | keeping the dreams alive

26. Pingback: On Pins and…Oreos « Go With the Dough

27. Pingback: Ceviche with Mango and Avocado | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

28. Pingback: Seven Links | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

29. Pingback: Grilled Vegetable Couscous with Lemon and Goat Cheese | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

Myrynda Freeman — September 5, 2011 @ 1:04 pm

LOVE THESE! I had mixed feelings on the texture but I absolutely loved them. They are very chewy and just have an all around great flavor,thanks for sharing!

• Christina replied: — September 7th, 2011 @ 6:29 pm

Myrynda,
      I had mixd feelings about the texture too..but after a few bites I got over it! ;) I am so glad that you enjoyed them! :)

frugalandfreedotcom — September 19, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

Hello. I think I am missing something. There are 3 ingredients. Ground oreos, marshmallows and butter. You say that they taste like an oreo flavored rice krispie type treat, yet I do not see the Rice Krispie in the ingredients?

• Christina replied: — September 20th, 2011 @ 9:09 pm

Nope you aren’t missing anything! :) Only three ingredients are needed! They remind me of rice krispie treats because they have the same texture and consistency, but there are no rice krispies in the recipe.

frugalandfreedotcom — September 21, 2011 @ 12:12 am

Thanks so much. I MUST try these. I will let you know how it goes :-)

clydiemor@yahoo.com — September 29, 2011 @ 10:12 pm

Happy Anniversary…Very beautiful wedding.

I know I am going to have t try these treats…

Nichole Marks — October 14, 2011 @ 12:07 am

perfect for halloween

Cubette — October 18, 2011 @ 3:10 am

hey, could you use 5 cups marshmallow cream instead of marshmallows?

• Christina replied: — October 18th, 2011 @ 10:07 pm

I have never tried this recipe using marshmallow crème. Since they are very similar to rice krispie treats and marshmallow crème can be used to make those, I am sure these would turn out great! If you end up trying these with marshmallow crème I would love to hear how they turn out! :)

georgina — October 19, 2011 @ 10:45 pm

Hi, first-time visitor, here.

Is it necessary to butter both the pan and paper? Does the butter leave a residue on the outer-bars?
    Also, how many does this make? I don’t know how thick this would be in an 8×8.

kat — October 31, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

yum! what a great idea!!

Mindy McCamish — November 12, 2011 @ 3:01 pm

If I could live anywhere in the world, it would be Grand Caymans.

Made these bars for our Thanksgiving dinner at church. I needed an easy, quick dessert that could be easily portioned for a mad rush. These look crazy when you are making them, but they are super yummy. Will use this recipe again! Thank you!

• Christina replied: — November 21st, 2011 @ 9:07 pm

Yea! I am so glad that you enjoyed them! :)

Lily — November 16, 2011 @ 12:32 am

Oh these sound good and so easy! Thanks for the idea!

snw219 — November 20, 2011 @ 6:29 pm

those sound wonderful – i’m also imagining them with rice krispies added, too.

Mollie — December 5, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

I saw these on Pinterest and just made them. They are DEeelish! I highly suggest liberally buttering the wax paper though. They are sticky little suckers!

carrierconfidential — December 16, 2011 @ 12:53 pm

I can’t wait to try these! I saw them in pinterest as “lumps of coal” for Christmas, and I really want to make them for my kids. But (alas!) I don’t have a food processor. Do you think it would work to use a blender instead?

Amber — December 22, 2011 @ 3:59 pm

Theses are freaking amazing!!!!!!

• Christina replied: — January 4th, 2012 @ 5:39 pm

Amber,
      I am so glad that you enjoyed them! :)

44. Pingback: Homemade Holidays DIY Gift Guide: Sweet and Savory Food Gifts | Ginger(ly) Homemaking

45. Pingback: The Complete Homemade Holidays DIY Gift Guide Roundup | Ginger(ly) Homemaking

46. Pingback: Much to Catch Up On! « Food, Faith, and Other Fabulous Finds

Bex — January 10, 2012 @ 2:33 pm

These look great, do you think they would be ok sitting out overnight (covered) or should they be refrigerated? I’m goin to make them for a bridal shower an was wondering if I can make them the day before.

• Christina replied: — January 14th, 2012 @ 5:54 pm

You can definitely make these the day before. I would keep them in an airtight container at room temperature. If you give them a try I would love to hear how they turn out! :)

Ginger — January 13, 2012 @ 12:09 pm

I think I am missing something – your directions say to press the rice mixture into the pan, but I don’t see “rice” anything in the ingredients??

• Christina replied: — January 17th, 2012 @ 1:42 pm

Ginger,
      You are right…no rice. I changed the recipe directions to say just mixture. :)

49. Pingback: No Bake Cookies & Cream Bars aka "Oreo Krispies"

Susie — February 29, 2012 @ 8:50 am

LOVE these and beautiful wedding photos!! Stop in and link them up in my Happy 100th Birthday Party for Oreo! I’d be honored to have your recipe attend the party! http://cafescrapper-scrapsoflife.blogspot.com/2012/02/happy-100-birthday-oreo-cake-blog-link.html

If you have anything else Oreo, feel free to link up! I”m promoting the party like crazy :)

Susie