Dates with Goat Cheese Wrapped in Prosciutto

Over the summer when Andrew and I went to Key West we ate at the tapas style restaurant Santiago Bodega where we had stuffed dates for the first time. They were so warm, crispy and delicious that I knew I had to recreate them in my own kitchen. When I began thinking of the food that I wanted to have for Thanksgiving, I remembered those dates and knew they were making it onto the appetizer plate. They were such a hit that I will definitely be making them for Christmas as well. :D These two-bite appetizers are super simple to make and they can be assembled up to two days in advance. When you are ready to serve just place under the broiler for a few minutes until warm and crispy.  Sweet, sticky and delicious, these dates are a definite crowd pleaser.

One Year Ago: Three Bean Vegetarian Chil

Dates with Goat Cheese Wrapped in Prosciutto

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup (4 ounces) goat cheese, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 16 Medjool dates, pitted
  • 8 thin slices prosciutto, halved lengthwise
  • 16 toothpicks, soaked in water 10 minutes

1. In a small bowl, mix together the goat cheese and basil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer the contents of the bowl to a pastry bag fitted with a round 1/4 inch decorating tip.
  2. Gently pull the dates apart and stuff with cheese mixture. Close the dates around the filling. Wrap a piece of prosciutto around each date and secure with a toothpick.
  3. Heat broiler to high and broil until cheese bubbles, about 3 minutes. Serve warm.

Yields: 16 servings

Source: Adapted from Self, December 2007

12 Responses to “Dates with Goat Cheese Wrapped in Prosciutto”

ChgoJohn — November 27, 2011 @ 12:38 pm

I know that figs, goat cheese, and prosciutto go well together but dates? YUM!

Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide — November 27, 2011 @ 12:41 pm

I love this idea. I’ve been wanting to do dates in bacon, and well prosciutto is always better.

Kristi Rimkus — November 27, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

This is definitely a keeper for the holidays!

Amy — November 27, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

Oooh, now this seems like my kinda recipe! What a delicious, easy, but fancy appetizer. I will definitely be making this the next time I have company over :)

The Teenage Taste — November 27, 2011 @ 7:20 pm

Mmmmm…these sound fabulous! I bet the sweet and salty flavor combo of the dates and the goat cheese is out-of-this-world! :-)

Artful abuela — November 28, 2011 @ 2:22 am

i tried these last christmas and they are sublime! a real hit with guests!

Chica Andaluza — November 28, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

How funny – as soon as I saw the title I thought “ooh, that´s like what we have here in Spain at Christmas”. Sometimes it´s done with bacon or jamon and with or without the cheese but the sweet and salty combination does indeed really work well. Here they are often lightly fried until the ham or bacon is crispy or baked in the oven.

jennifer a mergott — December 2, 2011 @ 9:08 am

I just made a version of these with bacon. They were good, but the prosciutto looks like it would be a less greasy alternative. Definitely gonna try it soon.

Hester aka The Chef Doc — December 7, 2011 @ 6:16 pm

Ooh… major love :-) I love the salty, sweet, and creamy combination! You could even add an almond in the middle of the cheese to give it a lovey crunch factor! Happy holidays!

Streusel(Tiffany) — December 9, 2011 @ 9:17 pm

Oh my, heaven on a little stick!

Angela — January 18, 2012 @ 1:19 pm

I was just in Key West with my boyfriend & his family and we went to Santiago’s. One of our favorite tapa items were the dates. My boyfriend & I came back to California, still thinking about them and I was searching for a similar recipe, and came across yours. We are so excited to make these this weekend! Thanks for the recipe!

Tracy — August 2, 2013 @ 3:49 pm

My family similarly just returned from a trip to Key West and Santiago Bodega’s. I am looking for that specific recipe and here you are. I couldn’t remember the basil in the cheese. So thanks, for resolving an argument with my husband about weather or not to include basil.