Peanut Butter Chip Scones

These past few days have been absolutely crazy around here. A few days ago Andrew and I closed on a house and this past weekend we were over there getting everything ready for our big move this coming Saturday. We are both very excited, but it has been a busy few days. Add onto that, the weather has not been great. Rain, rain, and more rain! All the rain and nasty weather have taken a toll on me and I have been down with a migraine for the past two days! Now that I am finally feeling better I have been back in the kitchen cooking up a storm. ;) These peanut butter chip scones were one of the recipes that have been on the top of my “must bake” list for about two weeks. I can’t believe I waited that long to make them-they are amazing! Moist, tender, loaded with peanut butter chips and dripping with an incredible peanut butter glaze. Served warm straight out of the oven with a big cup of joe for a breakfast that is sure to put a smile on your face!

One Year Ago: Blackberry Coconut Pound Cake Muffins

Peanut Butter Chip Scones

For the Scones:

• 3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 cup cold butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
  • 1 cup heavy cream, plus 1-4 tablespoons
  • 2 cups peanut butter baking chips

For the Peanut Butter Glaze:

• 1/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Place flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process with six 1-second pulses.
  3. Remove cover of food processor and sprinkle the butter evenly over the dry ingredients. Cover and process with 12 1-second pulses. Transfer contents to a large bowl.
  4. Stir heavy cream into the flour mixture, adding up to 2 additional tablespoons of heavy cream just until moistened. Fold in peanut butter chips and knead the dough by hand 6 to 8 times  (do not overprocess or scones will be tough) then turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Divide dough in half. With lightly floured hands press each half of dough into a 7-inch round. With a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into 6 wedges. Repeat with remaining dough.
  5. Place wedges on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 10 to 13 minutes or until tops of scones are a lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before glazing.
  6. While the scones are cooling, make peanut butter glaze. In a small bowl whisk together powdered sugar, milk and peanut butter until smooth. Drizzle glaze over scones and serve.

Yields: 12 scones
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 13 minutes

Source: adapted from Cinnamon Chip Scones, originally from Taste of Home

16 Responses to “Peanut Butter Chip Scones”

Caroline — May 1, 2012 @ 3:34 pm

Sorry to hear you were under the weather. :( But these scones must have made you feel a little better. Good luck with the move!!

my recent favorite books — May 1, 2012 @ 3:38 pm

Congrautlations on yur new home! Glad you are feeling better!
    These scones look so good!

Jen's Favorite Cookies (@JenSto2t) — May 1, 2012 @ 4:57 pm

Ooh, scones are the best! I love this peanut butter scones idea! Can’t wait to try it!

KeepItSweet — May 1, 2012 @ 5:00 pm

Congrats on the house and good luck with the move! Love these scones:-)

losangelas — May 1, 2012 @ 5:24 pm

First of all, these look delicious! I can see why they were on your must bake list :)
    and Congratulations on your house!! and Well done to you baking while you were not feeling your best!!

Jennifer — May 1, 2012 @ 7:27 pm

Congratulations on your new home and glad to hear you’re feeling better! As usual, this looks like another delicious recipe. I just made your delicious strawberry and cream scones on Sunday, so of course, I’m thinking how these ones will be amazing with the strawberry preserves (maybe in the middle?)! Yum can’t wait for Sunday to try these! Thanks!

ChgoJohn — May 1, 2012 @ 7:43 pm

Wonderful news about the new house! Congratulations! The peanut butter glaze would make these scones irresistible. Good luck with your move!

The Teenage Taste — May 1, 2012 @ 8:22 pm

We must be on the same brain wave or something…I was seriously just drooling over the idea of peanut butter scones earlier this morning before I saw this post! They look fabulous!

Chung-Ah (@damn_delicious) — May 1, 2012 @ 10:40 pm

Good luck with the move. Oh and I just have to say how much I love the depth of your scones!

Laura — May 2, 2012 @ 6:31 am

I really miss peanut butter living in France :( but I am so determined to find some because I have seen a ton of great pb recipes lately. I will have to make these when I do find it! Great pictures!

Chica Andaluza — May 2, 2012 @ 7:37 am

Migraine – eek! I feel your pain, they always come at the worst possible time, I hope you are fully recovered for the move. Great recipe, we can´t get peanut butter chips here but I will pull in some favours!

wendy@chezchloe — May 2, 2012 @ 9:49 am

Oh yes.. these look right on. Really really good!!!

sweetcraving — May 2, 2012 @ 12:06 pm

Just saw your peanut butter and choc shortbread bars, and nearly dribbled on my keyboard. and now these! ommmm nomnom

Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide — May 2, 2012 @ 8:59 pm

Hope you’re all better and the move goes smooth.

susie — June 26, 2012 @ 7:04 pm

These look amazing!!!! I’m a peanut butter lover and will have to make these!!!

16. Pingback: Sweet Pea's Kitchen » Browned Butter Salted Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars