Peanut Butter Banana Scones
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Yesterday morning I had one ripe banana that really needed to be used. That’s right…only one! Not enough to make banana bread or muffins but I didn’t want to just throw it away. I remembered back to a few weeks ago when I had tried a recipe for some banana scones. Unfortunately the recipe was horrendous! The dough could not be shaped and was more of the consistency of muffin batter. It was just down right terrible. After trying to add more flour to the batter, I finally just put them in muffin liners and baked them. I was still hopeful that the “muffins” would turn out, however, they did not. I ended up throwing away the entire batch. It was that bad! So yesterday morning I was determined to make a delicious banana scone with my one ripe banana.
I was inspired by one of my favorite banana recipes, Peanut Butter Banana Bread. I went to work adding peanut butter, chopped peanuts, mashed banana and spices to create one amazing nutty scone. They came together super quick and smelled amazing while baking. I topped them off with a drizzling of peanut butter glaze and they were the perfect accompaniment for my morning tea. 🙂
Don’t forget to vote for me for the Parent Magazine’s Best Food Blog Award! Voting is open until October 15. Click Here to vote for me! 😀
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Peanut Butter Banana Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
For the Peanut Butter Glaze:
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we'll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, stir together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon, allspice and chopped peanuts. Add the butter and toss with a fork to coat with the flour mixture. Mix on medium-low speed until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with the butter pieces no larger than small peas.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the banana, peanut butter and heavy cream. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients and form the dough into a ball. With lightly floured hands press dough into a 8-inch round. With a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into 8 wedges.
- Place wedges on the prepared baking sheet and bake in preheated oven 12 to 15 minutes or until tops of scones are a light brown. Transfer to a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- While the scones are cooling, make peanut butter glaze. In a small bowl whisk together powdered sugar, milk and peanut butter until smooth. Drizzle glaze over scones and serve.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!