Bananas Foster Muffins
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Bananas Foster muffins topped with a crunchy pecan streusel and drizzled with an amazing rum sauce. These scrumptious muffins are an adaption of the famous New Orleans dessert, Bananas Foster. The amazing combination of butter, brown sugar, rum, and bananas first came together more than 6o years ago at Brennan’s Restaurant in New Orleans. Chef Paul Blangé created a delicious dessert for one of his favorite customers, Richard Foster.
The dessert was such a hit that bananas foster is still served at a number of fine restaurants in New Orleans as well as in many restaurants around the world. These rum soaked muffins are the perfect portable version of the incredible dessert. Bake up a few of these babies for your family and watch them disappear right before your eyes!
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Bananas Foster Muffins
For the Streusel Topping:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1½ cups chopped pecans
For the Bread:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
For the Rum Glaze:
- ¼ cup 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup rum
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we'll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 12 muffin cups with muffin liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- For the topping: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, stir together the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Add the butter and toss with a fork to coat with the flour mixture. Mix on medium-low speed until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with the butter pieces no larger than small peas. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl and mix in pecans; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and baking powder; Set aside.
- 4. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the sugar and vegetable oil on medium speed to combine. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each until combined. Add the mashed bananas and vanilla extract; beat to combine. Alternatively add the flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with the flour. Beat just until the flour is incorporated and finish mixing with a spatula.
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle the streusel mixture over the muffins. Bake until muffin tops are golden and just firm, 22 to 24 minutes, rotating halfway through baking time.
- While the muffins are baking, make the rum glaze. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat bring the butter, water, and sugar to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the rum. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Cool muffins in muffin tin for 5 minutes. Then, using a toothpick poke holes all over the top of the muffins. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the rum glaze over each muffin. Let the muffins sit for about 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Spoon the remaining glaze over each muffin, about 1 teaspoon for each muffin.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
Source: adapted from Brown Eyed Baker