This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Here is a great summer time treat that can be made year round with either fresh or frozen blueberries. Ice cream has to be one of my favorite desserts. I can pass up brownies, cakes and cookies; however, ice cream is another story all together! 😀 This rich and delicious ice cream flavored with blueberries and freshly squeezed lemon juice will quickly become a favorite at your house. There is nothing quite like a big bowl of creamy homemade ice cream on a hot summer night. Why not serve it along side that Blueberry Pie you have been thinking of making? 😉
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Blueberry Ice Cream
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring blueberries, 2 cups of sugar and lemon juice to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until sugar is dissolved and the blueberries are softened, about 6-8 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Pour blueberry mixture into a blender and purée until smooth. Pour purée through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl, pressing on solids with back of a spoon. Cover and refrigerate 2 to 3 hours or overnight.
- Once the blueberry mixture is cold you can continue to make the ice cream. In a large bowl, whisk eggs until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in 3/4 cup of sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute. Pour in cream and milk, whisk to blend.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Chill in freezer until very cold (40 degrees) about 30 to 60 minutes.
- Start ice cream maker and add the milk mixture. Mix until ice cream has the consistency of soft serve ice cream, about 20 to 25 minutes. In the last 5 minutes of mixing, add the blueberry mixture.
- Remove from ice cream machine canister and transfer to an airtight container. Freeze until firm, at least 3 hours.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!