Broccoli Cheese Chicken Zucchini Boats
Can you freeze zucchini?
In the fall, there is an abundance of zucchini in season. If you find that you have a lot of zucchini that you won’t be able to use, you can freeze it for later. This is a great way to save money since while zucchini is inexpensive when it is in season, it is expensive during the winter months. If you want to freeze the zucchini when it is raw, you can store it in a freezer bag or wrapped in plastic wrap. If you are freezing cooked zucchini, wait until it has cooled. Then move the zucchini into a freezer bag and store in the freezer. One of the best ways to freeze zucchini is to make it into zoodles.
How to make “boats” out of zucchini
In order to make zucchini boats, you need to start by slicing the zucchini in half length wise. Using a spoon, scoop the center of the zucchini out. The part you are scooping is the center, the seeds and the softer part of the inside. Be sure to leave some of the flesh inside of the skin. Pour melted butter into each half of the boat. Then add salt and pepper. Bake the zucchini for about 20 minutes. Once the zucchini boat is baked, it will be ready for the filling. You will then add the filling, bake a little longer to make the delicious zucchini boats.
Can Baked Zucchini Boats Be Frozen
While the zucchini can be frozen, if the boats are made, I do not recommend freezing them. When you take the broccoli chicken zucchini boats out of the freezer, it will be soggy. The best idea is to only make enough zucchini boats that you can eat in the next 3 days. This will give you delicious leftovers but not a lot of waste. Consider freezing the filling and the raw zucchini separately to store this recipe for another night.
Ingredients for broccoli chicken zucchini recipe
- Rotisserie chicken
- Sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Green onion
How to make broccoli chicken zucchini boats
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Begin by slicing the zucchini in half lengthwise.
Use a spoon to scoop out the inside of each zucchini half.
Pour a ½ tbsp of melted butter into each zucchini half.
Add salt and pepper to taste to the zucchini.
Place the zucchini into the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
While the zucchini is cooking, mix together the shredded rotisserie chicken, broccoli, sour cream, and salt and pepper to taste in a mixing bowl.
Fill the baked zucchini boats with the chicken mixture, and top with shredded cheese.
Bake the zucchini boats for 10-15 minutes.
Remove, top with freshly chopped green onions for garnish, and serve.
More Zucchini Recipes
If you are looking for more ways to use zucchini whether it is fresh or has been frozen, these are great recipe ideas, made with delicious zucchini. Stock up while it is fresh and enjoy all year round.
- Garlic Butter Meatballs with Lemon Zucchini Noodles Recipe – With this recipe for zoodles and meatballs, you won’t miss the carbs or the sauce. This garlic butter meatball recipe is so good, you will definitely be going back for seconds.
- Turkey Zucchini Casserole – When making Turkey Zucchini Casserole is a simple way to make a delicious recipe that the whole family will love. It is also a great way to use up leftover ingredients in the fridge.
- Garlic Butter Steak with Zucchini Noodles – Steak and zucchini noodles is a recipe that you will love. These tender garlic butter steak bites are amazing. This is a low carb recipe but it is also great anyone who is just trying to get more vegetables in each meal.
- Lemon Garlic Butter Shrimp with Zoodles – If you love a low carb shrimp and pasta recipe, you are going to love this easy lemon garlic butter shrimp. This is a meal you will be craving again and again.
- Instant Pot Chicken Zoodle Soup Recipe – Don’t let eating low carb cause you to give up your favorite chicken noodle soup. Try this recipe and get all the flavors of chicken noodle soup without the carbs.
Looking for a delicious chicken zucchini boat recipe? This is an easy chicken and zucchini recipe that is sure to please. Healthy, with an amazing taste, this is a healthy dinner idea.
- 2 Large zucchini
- 6 oz. Rotisserie chicken shredded
- 1 c. Broccoli chopped
- 2 tbsp Sour cream
- 3 oz Shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp Butter unsalted melted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Green onion chopped for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Begin by slicing the zucchini in half lengthwise.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the inside of each zucchini half.
- Pour a ½ tbsp of melted butter into each zucchini half.
- Add salt and pepper to taste to the zucchini.
- Place the zucchini into the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
- While the zucchini is cooking, mix together the shredded rotisserie chicken, broccoli, sour cream and salt and pepper to taste in a mixing bowl.
- Fill the baked zucchini boats with the chicken mixture, and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake the zucchini boats for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove, top with freshly chopped green onions for garnish, and serve.
- Category: dinner
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: chicken zucchini boats
Now, time to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂