Coconut Sandwich Cookies
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Coconut cookies with a creamy vanilla buttercream filling sandwiched in between.
This delicious cookie recipe is getting me ready for summer like no other. After last week being sunny and 84 degrees to this past weekend rainy and low 50’s, I am ready for the warm weather. Bring it on!
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Coconut Sandwich Cookies
For the Cookies:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 7 oz package sweetened shredded coconut (about 2 1/4 cups), divided
- 3/4 cup 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Creamy Vanilla Filling:
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, room-temperature
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we'll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Place 1/2 cup coconut into a small bowl; set aside. Place remaining coconut in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade; pulse until coarsely ground. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter with sugars until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla. Reduce mixer to low and gradually add flour mixture and ground coconut; mix just until combined.
- Drop dough by tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets, 2 inches apart. Bake until lightly golden around the edges, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the filling, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until light and fluffy. Beat in confectioners’ sugar 1/2 cup at a time, scraping down bowl as needed. Add vanilla extract and increase speed to high. Beat until filling is light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Transfer to sealable bag and snip off a corner.
- Pipe filling on flat side of 1 cookie. Top with second cookie, forming a sandwich. Repeat with remaining filling and cookies. Roll edges in reserved coconut, and chill until ready to serve. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!