If you are looking for an elegant first course for your Easter Sunday feast, look no further than this rich and creamy roasted carrot soup. With only 170 calories per serving, this soup is certain fill you up without weighing you down.
Even if you are not a carrot fan, this soup will change you mind!
Roasting the carrots bring out their natural sweetness while intensifying their flavor so you are left with a hearty and flavorful soup.
- 1 ½ pounds carrots (about 8 medium), peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cups half-and-half
- Ground black pepper
- Toasted walnuts
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss the carrots, onion, 1 teaspoon of the oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt together then spread into an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until the vegetables are well browned and softened, stirring occasionally, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables to a large Dutch oven. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, cover, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until the carrots soften further, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the wine and bay leaf; cook until the wine has reduced by half, about 1 minute. Add the broths. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the soup is flavorful, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before working in batches to purée the soup in a blender until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Return the soup to a clean pot. Stir in the half-and-half. (additional half-and-half may be added as necessary to adjust the soup’s consistency) Heat the soup gently over low heat until hot (do not boil). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle soup into serving bowls and sprinkle with toasted walnuts.
Source: adapted from The Best Light Recipe