Ham and Potato Corn Chowder
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
This Ham and Potato Corn Chowder is a hearty and comforting meal that will surely please everyone in the family. It is easy to make and is packed with flavor, making it a great choice for a quick dinner or a cozy night in.
The combination of ham, potatoes, and corn makes for a delicious and nutritious meal that is sure to satisfy.
The potatoes and ham are cooked in a savory broth, while the corn is added right at the end to give the chowder a slightly sweet and creamy texture. The chowder is then finished off with a few slices of bacon and a sprinkle of cheese for a truly flavorful dish.
This chowder is perfect for a cold night, or as a side dish to accompany any meal.
Scroll to bottom for printable recipe card.
Best potatoes for Ham and Potato Corn Chowder
This ham chowder recipe calls for red potatoes. They are an excellent texture and pair nicely with the other ingredients. Plus, the red skins add a beautiful pop of color. You can use Yukon gold or Russet if you have those on hand.
What type of ham should be used in the Ham and Potato Corn Chowder?
Any variety of cooked and diced ham will work. It can be smoked or a honey-flavored ham. Go with whatever you like!
What size pot should be used for this ham and corn chowder?
You’ll need a medium-large sized stockpot for this ham and corn chowder. Each batch makes around 6 servings. You can double this recipe if you’d like, but you will need a large pot.
What type of cheese should be used for this ham and corn chowder?
Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, gouda cheese, mozzarella cheese, parmesan, or Colby Jack.
What type of milk should be used for ham and corn chowder?
It will be extra cream if you use sour cream or heavy whipping cream. You can use regular milk if you’d rather, but it won’t be as creamy. Completely up to you!
What herbs and spices can be used in the Ham and Potato Corn Chowder?
We use a blend of salt, pepper, Bay leaf, oregano, and dried thyme. You could use onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, or any other spices you like. For a little dash of heat, sprinkle in some red pepper flakes.
- Salt and pepper
- All-purpose flour
- Bay leaf
- Red onions
- Chicken broth
- Green onions
- Dried thyme
- Sour cream or heavy whipping cream
- Corn fresh or frozen
How to make Ham and Potato Corn Chowder:
Step 1. Add 1 Tbsp butter, carrot, celery, and onion to a pot over medium heat, and saute until softened.
Step 2. Mix in the chicken broth, potatoes, thyme, bay leaf, and oregano.
Step 3. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Step 4. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium-low.
Step 5. Cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes have become tender.
Step 6. Mix in the corn and ham, and simmer for another 5 minutes.
Step 7. In a separate pot, heat the remaining 4 Tbsp of butter over medium heat.
Step 8. Stir in the flour until well combined.
Step 9. Whisk the milk into the flour mixture, and simmer until thickened.
Step 10. Remove the mixture from the heat, and stir in the sour cream or heavy whipping cream.
Step 11. Blend the milk mixture into the soup, and serve garnished with bacon and green onions.
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Ham and Potato Corn Chowder
- 2 Stalks Celery, chopped
- 2 C. Cooked ham , diced
- 3 C. Milk
- 6 Slices Bacon , cooked and crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Onion , chopped
- 5 ½ Tbsp. Butter , divided
- ⅓ C. All purpose flour
- 1 Bay leaf
- ¾ tsp. Oregano
- 5 Red onions, Medium, cubed
- 2 Cans Chicken broth , 14.5 oz. each
- Green onions , chopped for garnish
- 2 Carrots , peeled and diced
- ½ tsp. Dried thyme
- ½ C. Sour cream , or heavy whipping cream
- 2 C. Corn , fresh or frozen
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- Add 1 Tbsp butter, carrot, celery and onion to a pot over medium heat, and saute until softened.
- Mix in the chicken broth, potatoes, thyme, bay leaf and oregano.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium low.
- Cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes have become tender.
- Mix in the corn and ham, and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- In a separate pot, heat the remaining 4 Tbsp of butter over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour until well combined.
- Whisk the milk into the flour mixture, and simmer until thickened.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, and stir in the sour cream or heavy whipping cream.
- Blend the milk mixture into the soup, and serve garnished with bacon and green onions.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
THANKS FOR PINING!
How long does the Ham and Potato Corn Chowder take to prepare?
This ham and potato corn chowder is ready to eat in just 30 minutes! It’s an excellent choice for busy weeknights or when you are short on time.
How many servings does Ham and Potato Corn Chowder make?
This ham chowder recipe makes 6 servings. It’s fine to double or triple this dish, but you will need a larger pan.
Is the Ham and Potato Corn Chowder suitable for vegetarians?
No, it has ham, and ham is meat. If you’d like it to be a vegetarian chowder, you can omit the ham and swap the chicken broth for both vegetables.
What garnishes can be used to top the Ham and Potato Corn Chowder Recipe?
Garnish with crispy bacon and green onions. You can also garnish with some chopped oregano and some bread.
- Make it extra creamy by using heavy cream instead of sour cream.
- Stir the ham and corn chowder often, so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Be sure to take it off the stove when it’s done, so it doesn’t overcook. Overcooked chowder will become grainy because the potatoes will break down.
More Chowder & Soup Recipes
Easy Vegetable Chowder – So filling and delicious!
Crab and Shrimp Seafood Bisque – This is the star of dinner!
Lasagna Soup – Tangy tomato flavor in every bite!
Creamy Italian Sausage and Potato Soup – Try it, and you’ll love it!