Sweet and spicy sugar-coated gingersnap cookies that are chewy on the inside and crisp on the outside. These cookies are so beautiful with their signature gingersnap cracks. I had gingersnaps for the first time a few months ago while on spring break in Fort Lauderdale with my good friend Beth. We were on a late night run to the store to pick up something for breakfast in the morning. Beth was craving something sweet so she grabbed a box of gingersnaps and was telling me how delicious they were. I don’t even think we were back at the condo before we already tore into the box and began devouring them!
I loved the spicy and sweet combination of these cookies. For the months that followed our trip to Florida I found myself buying these cookies from the grocery store. I knew that I had to find my own homemade version of these amazing cookies. When I stumbled upon this recipe I knew that I had to make them! 🙂 I made some pumpkin ice cream the other day and mixed in some of these crushed gingersnap cookies. All I can say is oh my goodness…more on the pumpkin ice cream later if you ask nicely 😉 …back to these scrumptious cookies! If you are looking for something to satisfy that midnight craving, look no further! These sweet and spicy cookies are sure to please!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- turbinado sugar for rolling
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt. In another bowl, combine together the brown sugar, molasses, canola oil, and egg until smooth. Mix the flour mixture into the brown mixture, stirring until dough comes together. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll into ball by heaping teaspoonfuls and roll the balls in sugar and place on the baking sheets 2 inches apart. Bake 8 minutes. if you like crispy gingersnaps bake 9-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and leave on the baking sheet several minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Cookies will be very soft when removed from the oven but they will firm up.
Source: adapted from 17 and baking