John Wayne Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
I love the John Wayne Casserole Recipe because it is a delicious and filling meal that can be prepared in minutes.
This easy casserole recipe is both hearty and flavorful, making it a favorite for any family dinner table.
It’s also perfect for weeknight meals, as you can whip it up quickly with ingredients you likely already have in your pantry or refrigerator.
Plus, there’s something about its rustic old-school charm that I just find appealing!
So give this delicious casserole recipe a try tonight – you won’t regret it! Bon appetite!
Scroll to Bottom for Printable Recipe Card.
What kind of cheese is traditionally used in this recipe?
Traditionally, it’s cheddar cheese, but you can absolutely swap it for any other cheese you like. You just need something that melts well, like mozzarella, pepper jack, or provolone.
What type of dish should I use to bake the casserole?
You will need a 9×13 baking pan. Make sure to grease it or coat it with non-stick spray!
How can I make the dish more flavorful?
This John Wayne Casserole recipe is very flavorful already, but you can always add more to it! Feel free to swap the cheddar cheese for Pepper Jack. You can also add other ingredients like tomatoes, hot sauce, or jalapenos.
How long does it take to prepare the casserole?
This John Wayne Casserole recipe takes about 50-60 minutes to make from start to finish.
Can I substitute any of the ingredients?
- Swap the cheddar cheese for any of your favorite cheeses! It will change the flavor and gives you some variety.
- You can use any ground meat that you like. Sausage or ground turkey are tasty options.
- It’s fine to use Greek yogurt or whipped cream cheese in place of sour cream. It will change the flavor some if you go with cream cheese.
What is the ideal baking time for the casserole?
The John Wayne Casserole bakes for around 30-35 minutes. You need to bake it until the breading is cooked all the way through.
What is the best way to store the leftovers?
Store any cooled leftover John Wayne casserole in a sealed container. It will last in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Lean Beef
- Taco seasoning
- Green Pepper
- Regular Mayonnaise
- Regular Sour Cream
- Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- Chiles (Diced)
How to make this John Wayne Casserole:
Step 1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Step 2. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Step 3. Return the cooked ground beef to the skillet, adding the ¾ cup of water and taco seasoning packet, Stir to mix, and bring to a boil.
Step 4. Stir in the onions and peppers.
Step 5. Reduce the heat, simmering for three to five minutes. Set aside.
Step 6. Add the Bisquick and water in a small bowl, mixing to form a dough.
Step 7. Use parchment paper to press the dough into the bottom and sides of the baking pan.
Step 8. In a small bowl mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, and one-half of the cheese together.
Step 9. Start to layer the casserole with the ground beef mixture on top of the Bisquick layer.
Step 10. Add a layer of green chilies. Top with an additional layer of the sour cream mixture.
Step 11. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
Step 12. Bake at 325 degrees for 30- 35 minutes or until lightly browned.
Step 13. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, tomatoes, and jalapenos.
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
John Wayne Casserole
- 2 lbs Lean Beef, (browned, crumbled, and drained)
- 1 Packet Taco seasoning
- ¾ C Water
- 1 Onion, Small, diced
- 1 Green Pepper, Diced
- 2 ¼ cup Bisquick
- ⅔ cup Water
- ½ cup Mayonnaise, Regular
- ½ cup Sour Cream, Regular
- 1- Package Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1- can Chiles, Diced
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Return the cooked ground beef to the skillet, adding the ¾ cup of water and taco seasoning packet, Stir to mix, Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the onions and peppers.
- Reduce the heat, simmering for three to five minutes. Set aside.
- Add the Bisquick and water in a small bowl, mixing to form a dough.
- Use parchment paper to press the dough into the bottom and sides of the baking pan.
- In a small bowl mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, and one half of the cheese together.
- Start to layer the casserole with the ground beef mixture on top of the Bisquick layer.
- Add a layer of green chilies. Top with an additional layer of the sour cream mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30- 35 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, tomatoes, and jalapenos.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
THANKS FOR PINING!
What vegetables work best in this recipe?
Veggies that go well in tacos or other Mexican-inspired dishes. We usually use onions, peppers, and diced chiles. Tomatoes are a great option as well.
Can I make the casserole ahead of time?
Yep! You can prep it and refrigerate for overnight before baking. Keep it covered until you are ready to bake.
Can I freeze the casserole after baking?
Yes, after you are done cooking let the casserole cool. Cover well and freeze for 2-3 months.
Can I make this recipe vegetarian?
Sure! Simply leave out the ground beef, and you will have a delicious vegetarian John Wayne Casserole!
What other proteins can I add to the dish?
It’s fine to swap ground beef for various proteins. We like ground sausage, turkey, chicken, or even pork. Be sure to leave us a comment if you try different meats, and let us know what tastes the best.
Is there a way to reduce the fat content of this dish?
You can use low-fat mayo, sour cream, and cheese to cut back on calories as well as fat content. Use any varieties that you already like so you know it will be good.
More Casserole Recipes
Delicious Cabbage Casserole – So hearty and filling.
Walking Taco Casserole – Plenty of flavors in this dish!
Spaghetti Casserole – You will want a 2nd helping!
Cheesy Ground Beef Rice Casserole – It’s so darn good!