Who says you can only drink margaritas? This Margarita Sandwich Cookies Recipe With Lime Buttercream is an irresistible treat that will impress anyone who tries it. Celebrate all your favorite events with some delicious margarita cookies. They taste just as elegant as they look—soft, flavorful cookies filled with a lime buttercream that has tequila in it.
Margarita Sandwich Cookies Recipe
Happy National Margarita Day! What better way to celebrate than with these delicious Margarita Sandwich Cookies? I’m not sure who decided that today is National Margarita Day, but it is seriously just what I needed! Last night we got out first real snowfall of the season. Not as much as they were predicting, but just enough to cover the ground and make me wish I had my toes in the sand with a margarita in my hand. 😀
These bite-sized sandwich cookies taste just like a classic margarita! They’re certain to conjure up some wonderful memories of warm summer nights or a sun-drenched vacation south of the border. Soft sandwich cookies filled with an amazing tequila-spiked buttercream filling. Not too big, not too small… just the perfect size!
Are Margarita Cookies Safe for Kids to Eat?
No, margarita cookies are not safe for kids to eat. The filling has real tequila in it, so that is what makes it not safe for kids. You could omit the tequila, and then they would be okay for kids to eat. If you are planning to make half the batch alcoholic and the other half non-alcoholic, I recommend adding some food coloring to one of them so you can easily tell the difference. This will keep you from mixing the two up and accidentally serving them to the children.
Can I Flavor The Buttercream with Bottled Lime Juice?
Yes, if you want to use bottled lime juice, it’s more than fine for adding flavor to the buttercream. Fresh is always better because it gives you that tangy flavor, just like a real margarita would have. You’ll notice if you use bottled lime juice that the flavor isn’t as bold, so you may need to add a little bit more to taste. You could always try it both ways to see which way you like it best.
Ingredients for Sandwich Cookies
For the cookies themselves, you just need 8 ingredients. Honestly, the cookies are so good you don’t necessarily need to add the filling and turn them into sandwich cookies. We prefer making them into sandwiches because the cream is also amazing.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Table salt
- Unsalted butter softened
- Sugar, divided
- Large egg
- Grated lime zest
- Fresh lime juice
Ingredients for Margarita Lime Buttercream
I am not going to lie; this margarita lime buttercream is so good I make sure to lick the bowl when I am done. It’s boozy enough and gives you lots of yummy flavor and texture too.
- Butter softened
- Grated lime rind
- Fresh lime juice
- Powdered sugar
- Green food coloring
How to Make Margarita Sandwich Cookies
Sandwich cookies couldn’t be any easier! They look like they would take a lot of effort, but let me reassure you they are overall pretty simple to make. Let’s get going because I am sure you are ready to whip up your own batch or two.
First Step: Put the oven racks in the upper and lower middle positions. Turn the oven on to 350 degrees F. Prepare two baking sheets by adding pieces of parchment paper then set aside.
Second Step: Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Mix with a whisk then set aside.
Third Step: Add the paddle attachment to a stand mixer and add the cream and sugar to the bowl. Mix using medium speed until it becomes light and fluffy for around 2 minutes.
Fourth Step: Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl. Mix in the egg, lime zest, and lemon juice at medium speed. Mix for about 30 seconds. Mix in the dry ingredients at a low speed until it’s combined and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
Fifth Step: Mix together 1/4 cup of the sugar and 2 teaspoons of lime zest in a bowl. Roll teaspoons of cookie dough into a ball in between your palms. Then roll it into the sugar mixture and put the cookie on the baking sheet. Make sure to space the cookies 2 inches apart. Lightly press on the dough balls with the bottom of a glass until they are 1/4 inch thick. Dip the glass into the bowl of sugar every few cookies, so it doesn’t stick to the dough ball.
Sixth Step: Bake the margarita cookies for 6-8 minutes, then allow them to cool on the cookie sheet for 3 minutes or so until they have set. Place them on a wire rack to finish cooling.
Seventh Step: Start preparing the filling by mixing the butter, tequila, lime juice, lime zest, and powdered sugar in a stand mixer. Drop in green food coloring as desired. You can add more lime juice as you wish.
Eighth Step: Put a layer of filling on the flat side of a cookie then top with a second cookie to make a sandwich. Repeat this process until all the cookies are made into sandwiches.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
Who says you can only drink margaritas? This Margarita Sandwich Cookies Recipe With Lime Buttercream is an irresistible treat that will impress anyone who tries it. Celebrate all your favorite events with some delicious margarita cookies.
For the Cookies:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cups sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons grated lime zest, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
For the Lime Buttercream Frosting:
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 tablespoon tequila
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
green food coloring
- Adjust the oven racks to the upper-and lower-middle positions and heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and 1 cup of sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the egg, 1 tablespoon lime zest, and lime juice; beat at medium speed until combined, about 30 seconds. Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed until just combined, about 30 seconds, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Combine the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons of lime zest in a shallow bowl. Roll heaping teaspoons of dough into ball between your palms, roll the ball in the sugar mixture, and then place it on the prepared baking sheet spacing the balls about 2 inches apart. Flatten the dough balls with the bottom of a glass until they are about 1/4 inch thick, dipping the glass in sugar as necessary to prevent sticking (after every 2 or 3 cookies).
- Bake until cookies are puffed and set but not brown, 6-8 minutes. Cool cookies on cookie sheet until set, about 3 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely before filling.
- To make the filling: in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, tequila, 1 tablespoon lime juice, lime zest, powdered sugar and green food coloring until light and fluffy. Add more lime juice if needed to reach the desired consistency.
- To assemble, spread a layer of filling on the flat side of 1 cookie. Top with second cookie, forming a sandwich. Repeat with remaining filling and cookies.
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: american
If you can’t get enough of these margarita sandwich cookies, you should try some of these other tasty cookie recipes. They are all incredible and simple to make.
- Ginger Cookies Sandwiches With Cinnamon Filling – Cinnamon and gingerbread go together beautifully in these terrific sandwich cookies. They are lovely for all the holidays and events.
- Stuffed Chocolate Peppermint Cookies – Dark rich chocolate cookies filled with peppermint buttercream is exactly what you need in your life.
- Easy Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies – These chocolate cookies are stuffed with an amazing peanut butter filling. Eat a couple, and you’ll be hooked for life.
- Chewy Lemon Cookies – Tangy lemon cookies are just what you need for all your summer parties and barbecues. They are fragrant, delicious, and unforgettable. You aren’t going to want to miss out on these.