Chocolaty, chewy and utterly decadent Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies topped with a rich chocolate ganache. Need I say more? 😉 Subtly spiced with cinnamon and cayenne pepper these brownies are a little kick for your taste buds.
I have been wanting to make a Mexican hot chocolate dessert for a while now and figured with Cinco de Mayo being tomorrow, this would be the perfect time.
If you are planning on throwing your own fiesta tomorrow, whip up a batch of these brownies-you won’t be disappointed! 🙂
For the Brownies:
- 1 1/4 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 12 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
For the Ganache:
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 13×9 inch metal baking pan. Put a long piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, letting the parchment extend up two sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. (This will make it easy to remove the bars from the pan after they have baked.) Butter the parchment.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cake flour, salt, baking powder, cayenne, and cinnamon; Set aside.
- Place chocolate and butter in a 2 cup glass measuring cup. Microwave for 1 minute and stir. Continue to microwave in 30 second increments until chocolate has completely melted. Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add sugar and mix on medium-high until combined. Reduce mixer to low speed and add 1 egg at a time and mix completely. Add vanilla and mix until combined. Stir in flour mixture until just combined.
- Spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 28-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- While brownies are cooling, heat semisweet chocolate and milk in the microwave for 30 seconds then stir. Continue to microwave in 15 second increments until smooth. Pour over brownies. Let chocolate gancahe set up completely before cutting.