Meyer Lemon Strawberry Muffins are one of the best muffin recipes ever. Bright, vibrant strawberries and lemon in every bite. I love to bring a batch of these incredible muffins with me on the road or whenever I am heading to brunch. They are delightful, refreshing, and perfect for spring and summer events. Plus, starting the day with some strawberry muffins means lots of yumminess right off the bat! Kids and adults will devour them in minutes too.
Meyer Lemon Strawberry Muffins
Ever since I finally found one little bag of Meyer Lemons at my local grocery store, I have been looking for recipes to use them in. Last weekend I made some delicious Meyer Lemon Scones that were a huge hit with my family. I was very excited to stumble upon this muffin recipe on Pinterest a few days ago. Luckily we already had a quart of plump strawberries and a few Meyer Lemons just waiting to be baked into something delicious. These zest flecked muffins are bursting with chunks of fresh strawberries and sweet Meyer Lemon flavor. With their bright spring flavors, they would make the perfect addition to your Easter Sunday brunch! 🙂
I have always been a fan of lemon and strawberries together. The tangy and tartness of the lemon paired with the sweetness of the berries is mindblowing good. The flavor and color of these muffins are something that you will want more often. Let us know what you think of them because I’m sure you are going to become as addicted as I have.
I have made them for new neighbors in the area or when a mom just had a new baby, and everyone always asks me for the recipe. I take that as a great sign that it’s not just me that loves them. I just wrap them in a cute box with some ribbon and happily deliver these yummy treats. So it’s time to get serious and get in the kitchen to start baking these beauties.
What is a Meyer Lemon?
A Meyer Lemon is a fair amount smaller than regular lemons, but they aren’t lacking in the flavor department. They are tangy but don’t tend to make your lips pucker the way that traditional lemons do. They have a lovely sweetness to them that is perfect for baking. Typically, most Meyer Lemons can only be found when they are in season, which starts in December and ends in May.
If you can’t find Meyer Lemons, you can swap them for regular lemons. The muffins will still be amazing, but a little sweeter. Don’t worry, they will still have some tang to them no matter which lemons you use.
Can I Use Frozen Strawberries?
Yes, you can, for sure, use frozen strawberries if you want them. I find it’s the best if you run them under cool water, then let the strawberries sit for at least 10 – 15 minutes to drain off any liquid. This will keep the juices from making the muffins to water. I usually prefer using fresh strawberries because they give you the best texture, but there is nothing wrong with substituting frozen here and there.
How do You Properly Freeze Baked Muffins?
Freezing muffins is so simple, and you will love being able to grab a couple when you are on the go. First, allow the muffins to cool completely once they have been removed from the oven. After they are, all the way cooled down, place them on a baking sheet and put them in your freezer, so they pan stays level. Leave the muffins in the freezer for 2-3 hours, then take them off the pan and put them into a freezer-safe bag or freezer food container. Then you can quickly grab out as many as you want and let them thaw out before eating.
All of the ingredients in these Meyer lemon strawberry muffins are easy to find and work well together. You are going to love every bite and will have a new breakfast of champions.
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated white sugar
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Zest from Meyer Lemons
- Juice from Meyer Lemons
- Egg, lightly beaten
- Canola oil
- Pure vanilla extract
- Chopped, fresh strawberries
How to Make Meyer Lemon Strawberry Muffins
There are only 4 really simple steps to make these awesome lemon strawberry muffins. You don’t have to spend several hours or anything. Within 30 minutes, they are mixed, baked, and ready to chow down.
First Step: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line muffin cups with muffin liners.
Second Step: Whisk together the egg, buttermilk, oil, Meyer Lemon juice, zest, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl.
Third Step: Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Fold in the strawberries gently. In the center of the dry ingredients make a well and pour in the buttermilk mixture. Stir until just incorporated and do not over mix.
Fourth Step: Equally divide batter among prepared muffin cups and bake until golden or toothpick inserted into center on muffin comes out clean (18 to 20 minutes). Put on a wire rack for about 5 minutes and remove from pan.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
Meyer Lemon Strawberry Muffins are one of the best muffin recipes ever. Bright, vibrant strawberries and lemon in every bite. They are delightful, refreshing, and perfect for spring and summer events. Kids and adults will devour them in minutes too.
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest (1 tablespoon) from 2 Meyer Lemons
- Juice (3 tablespoons) from 2 Meyer Lemons
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups chopped, fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffin cups with muffin liners.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk, oil, Meyer Lemon juice, zest and vanilla extract.
- In large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gently fold in the strawberries. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk mixture. Stir until just incorporated. (Do not over-mix)
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups. Bake until golden and toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: american
If you can’t get enough lemon recipes, I am so excited to share these with you. They are all amazing and will keep your taste buds tangy and happy.
- Lemon Poppy Seed Sugar Cookies – We have all eaten lemon poppy seed muffins, but have you ever had cookies? They are seriously so amazing and are lovely for all occasions.
- Chewy Lemon Cookies – I love a great chewy cookie! The combination of lemon and chewiness together is phenomenal. Try them and they will become a new favorite recipe.
- Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Bars Recipe – Another one of my favorite combinations is lemon and blueberries together. These cheesecake bars are delightfully sweet and turn out gorgeous too.
- Easy Homemade Lemon Sheet Cake Recipe – If you are feeding a large crowd then consider making this lemon sheet cake. Not only does it taste impressive, but it’s also beautiful too.