There is nothing more festive than this Patriotic Cake Balls Recipe. Soft, tender cake middles covered in white chocolate and garnished with some lovely sprinkles. It all comes together beautifully, and these cake balls are fantastic for all your holiday events and parties.
Take a batch or two to a potluck or barbecue, and everyone will go wild for them.
Patriotic Cake Balls Recipe
If you have been searching for a patriotic and fun recipe to make for the 4th of July, listen up! These festive Patriotic Red, White, and Blue Cake balls are certain to be a hit! If you have never tried a cake ball before, you are really missing out. Everything you love about cake is right in this bite, plus it is covered in white chocolate-double yum!
Making cake balls couldn’t be easier either. My favorite part is decorating these delicious little bites. I got a little carried away, making these the other day and accidentally dropped some sprinkles into my white chocolate. About halfway through dipping the balls, the once bright white chocolate started to turn a blueish tint from the sprinkles. So lesson learned, don’t sprinkle the sprinkles right next to the melted chocolate!
Nobody seemed to mind while they were eating them though, just really pour on those sprinkles to hide the mistake if it happens to you too! 😉
The best part about these delightful cake balls is that you can easily swap out the themed colors for different holidays. This is great, so you can make them themed for Halloween, Easter, St. Patrick’s Day, or anything else you want. Add the theme of the sprinkles you want, and you can color the icing too. Go wild and make anything you want.
Tips for Dipping Cake Balls Easier
It’s important when working with cake balls that you always make sure they are cold when you aren’t dipping them. They really need to be in the fridge for several hours to make sure they are pretty solid. If you try to dip them too early, they will fall apart when they hit the hot chocolate—keeping them in the fridge until right when you are ready to use them. Only work with no more than four cake balls at a time and leave the rest in the refrigerator until you are ready to work on them. This will keep them likely to stay solid and not fall apart when you make them.
Can I Add Sprinkles Inside the Cake Balls?
Yes, if you want to add sprinkles inside the cake balls, that’s more than fine. They will make them even more festive. It’s a good idea to add a little and not go crazy. If you put in too many, they may not hold together properly, and you’ll have a mess. But if you add 1/4 – 1/2 cup of sprinkles, that should work well. The cake needs to be cooled when you add the sprinkles, or it will just color the cake, and you won’t be able to tell there are sprinkles.
Can you believe you only need 5 ingredients to make these cake balls? They are amazing, and you will be so happy that they are easy to make too. We love to make them for birthday parties for a treat that is perfect for kids on the go!
- White cake mix
- Blue and Red Icing Color
- Cream cheese frosting
- White chocolate bark
- Red, white, and blue sprinkles
How to Make Patriotic Cake Balls Recipe
If you’ve never tried making cake balls before, don’t worry, they are actually pretty easy. The most important part is being patient and letting the cake balls to set up before decorating them. Once you get that part down, the rest is smooth cruising. Let’s get started!
First Step: Begin by greasing two 9-inch round baking pans. Make sure to grease the bottoms and sides.
Second Step: Mix the cake using the directions on the box. Then separate the batter in half and put it into two separate bowls. Put blue food coloring in one and red food coloring in the other. Mix well.
Third Step: Add the blue batter to one of the cake pans. Then add the red cake batter to the other cake pan. Bake the cakes and allow them to cool all the way on a wire rack.
Fourth Step: Put the blue cake inside of one large bowl, making sure to crumble it. Then crumble the red cake in the second bowl. Take half of the frosting and put it in the blue cake and put the rest of the frosting in with the red cake. Mix each cake well with the frosting.
Fifth Step: Place parchment or wax paper on a baking sheet. Then roll heaping tablespoons of cake dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. Then place them on the baking sheet and put the pan in the fridge for several hours.
Sixth Step: When you are ready to decorate, melt the chocolate in the microwave by following the directions on the package.
Seventh Step: Dip four cake balls at a time in the white chocolate whit a spoon or fork. Then place them on the baking sheet and sprinkle with sprinkles. Make sure to keep any cake balls you are working within the refrigerator, so they don’t begin thawing out.
Eighth Step: Put the coated cake balls in the fridge until the chocolate has set up then serve.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
- Grease the bottom and sides of two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the directions on the box. Divide the batter into two separate bowls and color one bowl of batter blue and the other red.
- Pour the blue cake batter into one prepared pan and the red cake batter in the second prepared cake pan. Bake according to the directions on the box. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Crumble the blue cake into one large bowl and the red cake in another large bowl. Divide the frosting evenly between the two bowls. Mix the cake and the frosting until completely combined.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Roll a heaping tablespoon of dough into a 1½-inch ball and place it on the prepared baking sheet. Place in refrigerator until firm, several hours.
- Melt chocolate in microwave per directions on package.
- Working about 4 balls at a time, dip balls in white chocolate using a spoon or a dipping fork and place on prepared baking sheet. Immediately sprinkle with sprinkles. Keep the undipped balls in the refrigerator until ready to dip.
- Once you have covered all the balls in white chocolate, place in the refrigerator until the chocolate coating is set.
Source: adapted from Red Velvet Cake Balls
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
I am a huge lover of cake in all forms. Take a peek of these incredible cake recipes that you are sure to love!
- Rum Layer Cake With Coconut Rum Frosting – This cake is absolutely incredible and will be fantastic for all of your cravings!
- Caramel Cream Cheese Pumpkin Poke Cake – I love poke cakes, and the flavor of the caramel, cream cheese, and pumpkin are terrific together!
- Chocolate Earthquake Cake – This chocolatey cake is rich and easy to make too. Perfect for potlucks and parties or when you are in the mood for something sweet.
- Red, White, and Blue Cake With Cheesecake Layer – Make some fun and festive layer cake for the holidays. You won’t have a crumb leftover!