This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Just like the name says, these cookies are perfect! Perfect if you like your chocolate chip cookies thick, moist, and chewy with crisp edges and tons of chocolate chips. Browned butter and dark brown sugar combine to give these cookies an incredible toffee and butterscotch flavor. One of the secrets to producing chewy cookies is to use melted butter.
By melting and browning the butter, the flavor is enhanced and the final result are chewy cookies. The batter is whisked three separate times, allowing the sugars to fully dissolve and the flavors to meld before baking them.
These oversized thick from the edge to the center cookies are exploding with chocolate rich chocolate chips. So what are you waiting for? Serve warm straight from the oven with a cold glass of milk! 🙂
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, 8 ¾ ounces
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 ¾ sticks, divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 3 ½ ounces
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar, 5 ¼ ounces
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda; set aside.
- In a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, melt 10 tablespoons of butter Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a large heatproof bowl. Stir in remaining 4 tablespoons of butter into the hot butter until completely melted.
- Add both sugars, salt, and vanilla to the butter and whisk until fully incorporated. Add egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth, about 30 seconds. Let mixture stand 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth, and shiny. Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips stirring until no flour pockets remain.
- Divide dough into 16 portions, each about 3 tablespoons for each cookie. Roll into a ball and place on prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake cookies 1 sheet at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 10 to 14 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack to cool completely before serving.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
Source: Cook’s Illustrated, May 2009