Homemade Red Velvet Ice Cream
Tips for Making the Best Homemade ice Cream
What flavor is red velvet?
Red velvet is usually rich in buttermilk, vinegar and cocoa powder and it topped with a delicious cream cheese frosting. Many people think that red velvet cake is just white cake that is dyed red. This is because some cakes recipes do not have a rich cocoa taste. I always recommend a red velvet cake recipe that has a high amount of cocoa in it to get the best tasting red velvet cake.
Can I add red velvet cake icing to the mix?
With this recipe for red velvet ice cream, you are adding chunks of red velvet cake that has already been frosted. If you are using red velvet cake that has not been frosted or you want to add more cream cheese flavor to the cake, you can add more cream cheese red velvet icing to the mix.
How Long Does Red Velvet Ice Cream Last
When you are storing the red velvet ice cream you want to make sure it is stored in an airtight container. You can also add a layer of plastic wrap when you are putting in the container over the ice cream and under the lid. This will help to protect the ice cream from getting freezer burned. The ice cream will last between 3 and 6 months when stored properly in the freezer. This is a great way to use up Red Velvet cake that is going stale.
Ingredients for red velvet ice cream
- cream cheese
- sour cream
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- red velvet cake crumbs
How to make red velvet ice cream
Cut the cream cheese into small pieces and place in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add the sour cream, half-and-half, sugar, salt and vanilla extract; purée until smooth. Chill the mixture for at least 8 hours or until very cold (40 degrees).
Follow your ice cream maker manufacturer’s instructions for preparing the ice cream. You will add in cake crumbs at the end just before you add this to the freezer. Freeze at least 3 hours before serving.
Want Another Red Velvet Desserts
These Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting are to die for. You simply won’t find a better red velevet brownie recipe. They’re chewy, dense, and bright red which is perfect for Valentine’s Day or anytime you have a craving for red velvet.
More Ice Cream Recipes
If you love homemade ice cream, you are going to love these other ice cream recipes. With recipes this easy, you are going to be making homemade ice cream all the time.
- Bourbon Cherry Ice Cream – This homemade ice cream is perfect for any adult party. Cherry ice cream with a splash of bourbon is the perfect dessert treat. This ice cream is taken to a whole new level.
- Easy Smores Dessert Ice Cream Recipe – This is a homemade ice cream that has all the best tastes of smores in a creamy rich dessert.
- Sea Salt Caramel Truffle Ice Cream – With the very best homemade ice cream recipe, this sea salt caramel truffle ice cream is sinfully sweet, ruch and creamy.
Looking for the best Red Velvet Ice Cream Recipe? This ice cream is full of red velvet flavor with actual pieces of red velvet cake and cream cheese icing thorough out. Rich and creamy, you are going to love this homemade ice cream.
1 cup sour cream
½ cup half-and-half
2/3 cup granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups of plain or already iced red velvet cake crumbs
- Cut the cream cheese into small pieces and place in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add the sour cream, half-and-half, sugar, salt and vanilla extract; purée until smooth. Chill the mixture for at least 8 hours or until very cold (40 degrees).
- When you’re ready to make the ice cream, churn it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. While the ice cream is churning, place the cake crumbs in the container you are going to use to store the ice cream. Once the ice cream is finished churning, add it to the cake crumbs and quickly fold the red velvet cake crumbs into the ice cream. Freeze until firm, at least 3 hours.
- Category: dessert
- Method: ice cream makeramerican
Keywords: red velvet ice cream