This red velvet cake recipe is moist, delicious and looks beautiful. Your guests will be wowed by how amazing this Easy Layered Red Velvet Cake Recipe. Make it as a Valentine’s Day dessert or anytime.
What is Red Velvet Cake?
Red Velvet cake is a chocolate layer cake that is topped with cream cheese frosting. While many people think that red velvet cake is just a chocolate cake with a lot of red food coloring, that is not what a traditional red velvet cake it and that is why a lot of people think they do not like red velvet. A traditional red velvet cake is red from using non-Dutched cocoa which gives it the red color and an amazing flavor.
Can I Turn This Red Velvet Layer Cake Into Cupcakes?
If you wanted to make this red velvet layer cake into cupcakes, you can simply make the batter and instead of baking it in round cake pans, you will put them into a cupcake tin lined with cupcake papers. You will use the cream cheese frosting on top of the cupcakes. You can also fill the cupcakes with frosting if you want to make them even more decadent.
How to Store a Red Velvet Layer Cake
If you find that you have leftover cake, you want to make sure you are storing it properly. Since this cake has cream cheese frosting, you want to make sure you store it in the refrigerator. Unfortunately, whenever a cake is stored in the refrigerator, it will become dried out quickly. While it lasts longer, the cake will taste stale before a cake that is stored at room temperature.
Make sure the cake is protected from the air when you are storing it. It can be wrapped in plastic or it can be covered with a cake lid. You can also cut the pieces and store it in airtight containers in order to keep the cake as fresh as possible.
How Long Does this Cake Last?
When you store this cake properly, you can count on your red velvet cake lasting about 4 to 5 days. You can also freeze the cake to help it last longer than it will when stored in the refrigerator.
Ingredients for Red Velvet Cake Recipe
- Red velvet cake mix
- Canola oil
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting
- Unsalted butter
- Block cream cheese,
- Powdered sugar
- Pure vanilla sugar
- Reserved red velvet cake crumbs
How to make Red Velvet Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spay cake pans with pam baking spray
Using a large mixing bowl and hand mixer, beat together all cake ingredients until combined and smooth
Divide the cake batter between the three cake pans
Bake in the oven for 28-35 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean
Allow to cool completely
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting
Using a standing mixer, beat together the butter and cream cheese
Gradually beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla until combined and smooth
How to Make an Easy Layered Red Velvet Cake
Cut off the domes of the cake and crumble into a bowl, set aside
Place the first layer of the cake onto a 10inch round cake board
Scoop 1 Cup of frosting into the piping bag
Scoop 1 Cup of frosting onto the first cake layer
Place the second cake layer on top of the first layer of frosting
Scoop another cup of frosting onto the second cake layer and smooth evenly
Place the last cake layer on top
Using the remaining frosting, frost entire cake
Using the cake crumbs, coat the bottom layer of the cake
Pipe dollops of frosting on the top of the cake
Sprinkle some cake crumbs onto the top of the cake
Cut and enjoy!
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
- 2 boxes of red velvet cake mix
- 6 large eggs
- ⅔ C canola oil
- 2 C water
- 3 9inch round cake pans
- 3 10inch round cake boards
Cream cheese frosting
- ½ C unsalted butter, softened
- 1 - 8oz block cream cheese, softened
- 4 C powdered sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla sugar
- 2 C reserved red velvet cake crumbs
- 1 large piping bag with large star tip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spay cake pans with pam baking spray
- Using a large mixing bowl and hand mixer, beat together all cake ingredients until combined and smooth
- Divide the cake batter between the three cake pans
- Bake in the oven for 28-35 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean
- Allow to cool completely
- Cream cheese directions
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the butter and cream cheese
- Gradually beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla until combined and smooth
Building and decorating directions:
- Cut off the domes of the cake and crumble into a bowl, set aside
- Place the first layer of the cake onto a 10inch round cake board
- Scoop 1 C of frosting into the piping bag
- Scoop 1 C of frosting onto the first cake layer
- Smooth evenly
- Place the second cake layer on top of the first layer of frosting
- Scoop another cup of frosting onto the second cake layer and smooth evenly
- Place the last cake layer on top
- Using the remaining frosting, frost entire cake
- Using the cake crumbs, coat the bottom layer of the cake
- Pipe dollops of frosting on the top of the cake
- Sprinkle some cake crumbs onto the top of the cake
- Cut and enjoy!
Want More Red Velvet Recipes:
Red velvet is such an amazing flavor and I know that once you try it, you are going to want to make red velvet everything. When you fall in love with red velvet, as I know you will, be sure to try these other red velvet recipes.
Best Easy Red Velvet Poke Cake – One bite of this red velvet poke cake and you will see how delectable and irresistible this cake is. This poke cake is filled with sweetened condensed milk and then it is topped with a creamy cream cheese icing. This is one of the best poke cakes you will ever try. You will watch this cake disappear.
Best Easy Red Velvet Whoopie Pies – Your sweet tooth is calling for these red velvet whoopie pies. With delicious cake-like cookies and a cream cheese filling, these whoopie pies are perfect for any occasion.
Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting – Looking for a red velvet brownies recipe? Make these homemade red velvet brownies with delicious white chocolate buttercream frosting. Rich, chewy chocolate fudge brownies with an amazing taste.
Red Velvet Ice Cream -Looking for the best Red Velvet Ice Cream Recipe? This ice cream is full of red velvet flavor with actual pieces of red velvet cake and cream cheese icing thorough out. Rich and creamy, you are going to love this homemade ice cream.