Chocolate covered strawberries in a muffin!! I have been sending in freshly baked muffins with my husband for his coworkers once a week. I asked what kind of muffins I should make this week and one of his coworkers requested strawberry and chocolate chip. I have never heard of this combination before in a muffin, but I thought it sounded delicious! So I went looking for this recipe. I guess many people have never tried this combination before because I was having a hard time finding a recipe. Finally, I decided to make my own. I used a simple strawberry muffin recipe and added a 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips. From cooking numerous muffin recipes I know that if pieces baked into a muffin are too big everything sinks to the bottom of the muffin cup. In order for these muffins to have a mixture of strawberries and chocolate in each bite I used mini chocolate chips. I am not going to lie, I was a little hesitant when I started because I did not want to send in two dozen muffins that I had no idea what they tasted like. But I went ahead and tried this combination because it sounded sinful. I am sure glad that I did! My husband said that everyone gave them rave reviews.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350
- lightly grease 12 muffin cups or line with muffin papers.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and sugar. Cut in cold butter with a pastry blender (or two knives) until it is in small pea-sized pieces.
- In a small bowl, mix together the egg, vanilla, and heavy cream. Add all at once to flour mixture. The batter will be thick. Gently fold in diced strawberries and chocolate chips.
- Spoon into muffin cups and bake in preheated oven 22-25 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.