Coconut Creme Pie

What comes to mind when you think of a Coconut Cream Pie? Warm summer days? Vacations on the beach? For me it reminds me of spring and summer days. Coconut Cream Pie is my all time favorite type of pie. I love the luscious coconut custard filling and the light as air whipped cream topping. This delicious pie is served on top of a delicate and not-too-sweet animal cracker crust. It is perfect and doesn’t overshadow the incredible coconut filling.

Coconut Creme Pie

• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into two pieces
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Whipped Cream and Garnish:

• 1 1/2 cups heavy cold cream
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted in small dry skillet until golden brown

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade, pulse animal crackers, coconut, and sugar into fine crumbs, eighteen to twenty 1-second pulses; then process until powdery, about 5 seconds.Transfer crumbs to medium bowl and add melted butter; stir until crumbs are evenly moistened. Transfer crumbs to a 9-inch glass pie plate; press crumbs evenly into bottom and up sides of pie plate. Bake until fragrant and medium brown, about 15 minutes, rotating pie shell halfway through baking time. Set on wire rack and cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
  3. In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, bring coconut milk, whole milk, shredded coconut, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt to simmer, stirring occasionally to ensure the sugar dissolves.
  4. In a medium bowl, whisk together yolks, cornstarch, and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Whisking constantly, slowly pour 1 cup of hot milk mixture over yolks; whisk well to combine. Whisking constantly, gradually add remaining milk mixture to yolk mixture in 3 or 4 additions; whisk well to combine. Return mixture to sauce pan and cook until thickened and mixture reaches boil, whisking constantly, about 1 minute; filling must boil in order to fully thicken. Remve from heat, whisk in butter and vanilla until butter is fully incorporated. Pour hot filling into cooled pie shell and smooth surface with rubber spatula; press plastic wrap directly against surface of filling and refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours and up to 12 hours.
  5. Just before serving, beat cream, sugar, and vanilla with electric mixer until soft peaks form, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Top pie with whipped cream and then sprinkle with toasted coconut. Cut pie into wedges and serve.

Source: Accidental Hedonist

16 Responses to “Coconut Creme Pie”

Jenny — April 30, 2011 @ 2:11 pm

I love how you used animal crackers for the crust! The coconut pie looks delicious :D

Ellie — April 30, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

*droooool* this looks amazing!!! I hope to make it really really soon! Maybe I’ll become famous when I do :P

shabs — April 30, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

Wowowowoow, this looks so delicious , really droolworthy *slurp*

Lisa — April 30, 2011 @ 6:03 pm

This looks amazing and will be perfect for my husband’s birthday dinner. Thanks!

• Christina replied: — April 30th, 2011 @ 6:39 pm

I hope you and your husband enjoy it…let me know how it turns out for you! :)

muppy — April 30, 2011 @ 6:37 pm

I’ve never had such a pie! looks incredible :)

briarrose — April 30, 2011 @ 7:00 pm

There is just something about a coconut cream pie that just hits the spot. Beautiful job.

The animal cracker crust just tickles me.

kissmybroccoli — April 30, 2011 @ 8:37 pm

What a great idea to use animal crackers for the crust! I just recently discovered my love for coconut, but I’ve yet to try coconut creme pie. I like the Larabar flavor…does that count? Haha!

sophia — April 30, 2011 @ 11:14 pm

You know, I dislike pies…fruit pies, that is. This sounds bad, but I don’t like fruits in my pie! I prefer richer pies like this…with coconut creme…and I love that you used animal crackers! Yum!

Sara — May 1, 2011 @ 1:09 am

I must admit I’ve never had coconut cream pie before, but I’m dying to use more coconut in my baking, so this is definitely going on the list of possible contenders.

Pudding Pie Lane — May 1, 2011 @ 5:07 am

Coconut reminds me of exotic holidays to the east and being on the beach. Such a nice taste and I love the toasted topping :)

littlehealthjunkie — May 1, 2011 @ 8:00 am

omg…YUM! I am totally making this sometimes REALLY soon! My mom and I absolutely love love love coconut cream pie and we’ve never actually made it homemade (not sure why though!) my bakery has a great one but I most DEFINITELY want to try this out!

• Christina replied: — May 5th, 2011 @ 9:54 pm

I am a HUGE Coconut creme pie fan and I loved this recipe! Let me know how it turns out for you! :)

KitchenGeisha — May 1, 2011 @ 8:57 am

Looks fantastic!

I prefer coconut custard, but I would definitely *not* say no to a slice of this Coconut Cream Pie!!

It’s wonderful to know that someone is out here making theses things, gives me hope that I can do it – not as well, but I could do it. :)

Anita Menon — May 1, 2011 @ 10:07 pm

beautiful and so tempting. I love coconut flavour. I am bookmarking this recipe

Jade — June 15, 2011 @ 3:59 am

We dont have animal crackers in south africa! What could i use as a substitute? This looks delicious..i’m addicted to coconut. Also, we measure butter in grams and it comes in 500g bricks..how many grams would you say is an ounce?