Orange Glazed Grilled Chicken

Get ready to fire up that grill with this fresh and bright Orange Glazed Grilled Chicken. Chicken breasts are marinated in a citrus orange marinade with a spicy kick that pairs perfectly with creamy avocados and warm grilled oranges. Serve with a tossed green salad for a summer meal that can’t be beat!

I am sure I have told you at least once before, but I absolutely love to grill and entertain this time of year! My husband Andrew also likes to grill, but in this household I am the grill master! :D It seems like many women I know are hesitant to grill and leave it up to their husbands or boyfriends to do it. So I am wondering, who is the grill master in your house? Is it an equal opportunity grilling house or are you the sole grill master?

Orange Glazed Grilled Chicken

For the Marinade:

• 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
  • 2 tablespoon minced shallots
  • 2 tablespoon honey
  • 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt

For the Chicken:

• 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (5-6 ounces each)
  • 2 navel oranges, quartered
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 8 teaspoons roasted sunflower seeds

1. In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, apple cider vinegar, orange juice, shallots, honey, Dijon mustard and salt; set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, toss chicken with 1/2 of the marinade and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight. Reserve remaining marinade for grilling.
  3. Preheat grill to medium-high and brush the rack with oil to prevent the chicken from sticking. Remove the chicken breasts from the marinade, sprinkle well with salt and pepper. Grill chicken until cooked through, about 4-5 minutes per side. Baste chicken with remaining marinade every few minutes to form a glaze.
  4. Add oranges to grill during last few minutes of grilling. Heat until grill marks form. Remove chicken and oranges from grill; tent with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
  5. Divide avocado slices among four plates. Place chicken on top of avocado slices and sprinkle each chicken breast with 2 teaspoons of sunflower seeds; Serve with grilled oranges.

Yields: 4 servings

Source: adapted from Cuisine Lite Fresh and Fabulous

12 Responses to “Orange Glazed Grilled Chicken”

Kim - Liv Life — July 7, 2011 @ 10:29 am

MMm!!! This is my kind of summer dinner. And I’m thinking it would be one to make the entire family happy… and that always makes me happy! Nicely done! Printed for later in the week!

Jenny — July 7, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

What a perfect summer recipe. The orange must give it such a great taste :D

Caroline — July 7, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

This chicken sounds fantastic! I love grilling out, though my dad is definitely the grilling master in my family. Too funny, I literally just mentioned that in my post today too. Great summer recipe. :)

Baking Serendipity — July 7, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

My husband and I tend to split the time grilling when the entire meal goes on the grill. But when there’s indoor prep work to be done too, I’m usually cooking inside and he’s grilling outside. This orange chicken sounds summery and delicious…I’m all over citrus flavors right now. I will definitely have to give it a shot!

Jessica — July 7, 2011 @ 4:14 pm

I love how refreshing and delicious all the ingredients are! It definitely makes a great summer meal!

Ellie@fitforthesoul — July 7, 2011 @ 4:46 pm

This looks so pretty! Your dishes always look clean and perfect. Hmmm I haven’t grilled myself before, but maybe when I’m married we’ll both grill together?! :) By the way, that’s so cool you actually do it!

Maris(In Good Taste) — July 7, 2011 @ 5:30 pm

This has to be the most perfect summer grilled chicken. So beautifully presented also

Kay aka Babygirl — July 7, 2011 @ 6:23 pm

This Orange Glazed Grilled Chicken looks spectacular. And I love the avocado you paired with this dish. Thanks for sharing this recipe

muppy — July 7, 2011 @ 7:23 pm

what a gorgeous marinade, looks lovely :)

Monica — July 7, 2011 @ 11:25 pm

I’m always looking for new marinades, especially with citrus. This looks delish.

joann — July 8, 2011 @ 9:52 am

I am definitely the grill master in my house and I love to grill out but have never mastered the art of grilling like I have in the kitchen. My “indoor” skills are much better than my “outdoor” skills. This chicken looks heavenly and will definitely try it. How ‘s Peoria! Have been there many times with my husband on business trips a number of years ago. Hope the move is going smoothly and you will soon be settled in.

12. Pingback: California Salad with Zesty Sprouts | Sweet Pea's Kitchen