Brisket Quesadillas with Mango Barbecue Sauce

Pan fried quesadillas filled with slow-cooked brisket, topped with mango barbecue, sliced brie and shredded Monterey Jack Cheese. When I saw this delicious recipe about two months ago over on Nikki’s blog I immediately bookmarked it. Seeing all of that delicious cheese oozing out of the homemade quesadillas, I was hooked! As I read through the recipe I saw intriguing ingredients-Dr. Pepper, brie and mango chutney…Hmmm…what an interesting combination! :) This recipe was definitely a winner in my house. My husband Andrew raved saying that it was one of his favorite recipes that I have made. These quesadillas are super easy to make, just place the brisket in the slow cooker before work and when you come home all you have to do it assemble and pan fry. I like to use my homemade Mango Chutney for the barbecue sauce, however, if time is running short you can always use a store-bought brand such as Major Grey’s Mango Chutney. So what are you waiting for? These quesadillas are destined to become a favorite in your household too! :D

One Year Ago: Sweet Potato Pancakes

For the Quesadillas:

• 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
  • 8 oz brie, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
  • Olive oil
  • Kosher salt

1. In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, chili powder and garlic. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the brisket, making sure to apply a coating over the entire piece of meat. Place the brisket in a slow cooker and pour Dr. Pepper over the top and cook on low for 8 hours. Remove from the slow cooker and let rest for 15 minutes. Slice into small pieces against the grain.
  2. To make the barbecue sauce, heat the olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Cook the onions until just soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in ketchup, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, mango chutney and salt and pepper to taste, simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool slightly then process in a blender until smooth.
  3. To assemble the quesadillas, heat a large skillet over medium heat until hot, about 2 minutes. Place 1 tortilla in skillet and toast until soft and puffed slightly at edges, about 2 minutes. Flip tortilla and toast until puffed and slightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Slip tortilla onto cutting board. Repeat with remaining tortillas while assembling first quesadilla. Divide meat, brie and Monterey Jack Cheese over half of tortilla, leaving 1/2-inch border around edge. Top with a tablespoon of the barbecue sauce.Fold tortilla in half and press to flatten. Brush surface generously with oil, sprinkle lightly with kosher salt, and set aside. Repeat to form remaining quesadillas.
  4. Working two quesadillas at a time, place in skillet, oiled sides down with folded edges toward center of skillet.; cook over medium heat until crisp and well browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Brush surfaces with oil and sprinkle lightly with salt. Flip quesadillas and cook until second sides are crisp and browned, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Transfer quesadillas to cutting board; cool about 2 minutes, halve each quesadilla, and serve. Serve with remaining barbecue sauce.

Yield: 8 servings

Source: Pennies on a Platter, originally from The Pastry Queen

33 Responses to “Brisket Quesadillas with Mango Barbecue Sauce”

Amy — August 17, 2011 @ 11:10 am

Wow, these look amazing! A perfect recipe for leftover brisket. Guess I better go make some brisket soon :)

Jenny — August 17, 2011 @ 11:10 am

Loving the mango bbq sauce, I don’t think I’ve ever had brisket. Looks so good :)

jennknee — August 17, 2011 @ 11:16 am

mmm! I love quesadillas! Such a great twist! …I’m definitely a fan of using the slow cooker with meat as well :)

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 — August 17, 2011 @ 11:21 am

These look wonderful! I’m sure my husband would love this, and me, too. Definitely bookmarking for later.

Susan — August 17, 2011 @ 11:54 am

Um mango BBQ sauce? That has got to be amazing! Gorgeous photos! Thanks so much for sharing.

Nikki @Pennies on a Platter — August 17, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

I’m glad you loved these, as well! Now that I just figured out how to make homemade tortillas, I’m ready to have these asap again! :

Megan Chromik — August 17, 2011 @ 12:27 pm

These sound amazing! I recently had BBQ pulled pork quesadillas and want to make something similar at home. This sounds like the way to go!

Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide — August 17, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

What a great combination of flavors.

Caroline — August 17, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

Dr. Pepper is an interesting addition, but it sounds like it worked quite well. Wow, these seriously look amazing. I’m for sure bookmarking this recipe. Way too good!

happywhennothungry — August 17, 2011 @ 6:28 pm

I love brisket! This looks fabulous. Yum!

ChgoJohn — August 17, 2011 @ 7:37 pm

Like those who commented before me, this sounds like a great combination of flavors and a cinch to make. Thanks for sharing.

muppy — August 17, 2011 @ 9:22 pm

WOW! this does look really good. I’m not exactly sure what the cut brisket is, they might call it something different here.

• Christina replied: — August 18th, 2011 @ 5:19 pm

Brisket is a cut of meat from the breast or lower chest of beef or veal..here in the US they just call it brisket. I do know that it is the same cut of meat that they use to make corned beef if that helps. :)

katshealthcorner — August 18, 2011 @ 12:13 am

Mango Barbaque Sauce?! :D

Geet — August 18, 2011 @ 1:38 am

This is such a wonderful meal. Never thought of using dr pepper… Definitely bookmarking this :) The pictures are beautiful.

Reem — August 18, 2011 @ 2:13 am

This looks soo delicious!!!!! It’s almost midnight and now I’m hungry….Mango barbecue sauce yummmmmm………………. Love it.

mydanishkitchen — August 18, 2011 @ 5:31 am

Quesadillas are one of my favorites and your Mango BBQ sauce sounds fantastic. Love your pics.

Holly Henry — August 18, 2011 @ 7:05 am

These look amazing! Definitely going to try! Love your blog and will be visiting more often:)

rebecca — August 18, 2011 @ 9:09 am

wow these look amazing love the addition of mango :-) wish it was my lunch

Sandi — August 18, 2011 @ 9:13 am

Sounds delicious & pics are terrific!

RavieNomNoms — August 18, 2011 @ 9:38 am

Oh my goodness gracious! This is like THE best idea ever. I am so impressed with it. I would never think to put brisket into a quesadilla, but man does that look good! The mango BBQ sauce probably goes amazing with it!

Amanda @ bakingwithoutabox — August 18, 2011 @ 10:42 am

All I gotta tell my man is that there’s Dr Pepper in here. Just love coca cola recipes. I love brisket any way you serve it up but your idea is so creative and fun. Looks like oozy gooey goodness.

thefooddoctor — August 18, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

Oh that picture is a form of torture..that melting cheese…irresistable..and all those flavors..no wonder it was a winner

Abby Lyn — August 18, 2011 @ 6:37 pm

I made these tonight and wow – absolutely delicious. I especially loved how the flavors of the bbq sauce blended with the brie. And now I have a lot of leftover brisket to freeze and use later…perfect for a busy mom. Thanks!

• Christina replied: — August 20th, 2011 @ 11:28 pm

Abby,
      Thank you so much for letting me know how they turned out for you! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed them! :)

Lisa {smartfoodandfit} — August 18, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

Omg, how did I miss this post! Mmm, the sweetness from the mango with the bbq sauce sounds amazing! I am going to try this recipe!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — August 19, 2011 @ 7:29 pm

These sound amazing! I love quesadillas and how versatile they are. But this combination of brisket and mango is just fantastic!

Cassie [Bake Your Day] — August 19, 2011 @ 10:09 pm

Brisket quesadillas are brilliant, great idea! The mango added to the BBQ sauce sounds awesome too, perfect for summer!

27. Pingback: 25 Superbowl Recipes for Super Bowl XLVI | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

28. Pingback: Recipes for Super Bowl XLVI « Dishing Cupcakes with LaDolceBella

Sara — April 21, 2012 @ 6:43 pm

These were AWESOME! I just made these tonight, and it was my first time ever making brisket. It turned out wonderfully! The Dr. Pepper was such a unique twist. My hubby sure enjoyed drinking the leftovers, hehe. The mango bbq sauce went just perfect with the brisket. We will FOR SURE be making these again!

30. Pingback: Flaky Peach Turnovers | Sweet Pea's Kitchen