Hot Cocoa Cookies
Oh my gosh, you guys. I don’t even know where to start with these ooey, gooey, chocolatey, marshmallowy little bites of heaven!
I combined a steaming cup of hot chocolate with a chocolatey cookie and the result was, well, it was incredible. Hot cocoa in a cookie! The perfect way to beat those winter blahs.
You see that toasted marshmallow on top? Well it’s hiding a melty little chocolate surprise! 😉
These cookies are quite possibly some of the best cookies I’ve ever eaten! Straight out of the oven they’re absolute heaven in a cookie! They taste best warm, so if you have any leftovers make sure you warm them up in the microwave before serving. Promise me you”ll make these cookies-your tastebuds will thank you!
Hot Cocoa Cookies
Yield: 60 cookies
1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter
12 ounces semisweet chocolate bars, plus 7.5 ounces cut into 1-inch squares and 5 ounces for garnish
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon espresso powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups (packed) light brown sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and 12 ounces of chopped chocolate, stirring frequently, over medium heat until smooth. Let cool for 15 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder and salt.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla at low speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Mix in the cooled chocolate mixture until just blended. Add the flour mixture in 2 batches, mixing on low speed until just combined. Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour.
4. Preheat to 325 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Using a tablespoon, scoop the dough and roll between your palms to form 1-inch balls. Arrange about 16 balls 2 inches apart on each cookie sheet, flattening slightly. Bake until the tops of the cookies crack, about 12 minutes.
5. While the cookies are baking, cut 7.5 ounces of semisweet chocolate bars into 1-inch squares. Snip 8 marshmallows in half crosswise and stick 1 square of chocolate onto each of the cut sides.
6. Remove the cookie sheets from the oven and gently press a marshmallow half, chocolate side down, into each cookie. Bake until the marshmallows are just softened, about 4 minutes. Transfer the pans to wire racks and grate the remaining chocolate over the hot cookies. Using a spatula, transfer the cookies to the racks; let cool 5 minutes before serving. Repeat the process with the remaining dough, marshmallows and chocolate. Bake each batch on a clean sheet of parchment. Serve warm.
Source: adapted from Rachel Ray Magazine, December 2011
Three Years Ago: Coffee Cake Muffins