Help jumpstart your day with a warm and satisfying bowl of this Cherry Hazelnut Oatmeal. Tart cherries, crunchy hazelnuts and hearty steel-cut oats are combined in this satisfying and healthy morning meal Growing up my mom always insisted that we ate a healthy breakfast before heading off to school.
She would make me oatmeal or grits every morning. Back then I didn’t really care for the oatmeal unless it was laden with sugar and cinnamon, I would have much rather had a big bowl of sugary cereal or fluffy pancakes. As I have gotten older I absolutely love a bowl of hot oatmeal in the morning. In fact, I start most days with either a bowl of homemade oatmeal or whole grain cereal.
One thing that I love most about many oatmeal recipes is that you can make it ahead of time and reheat it in the morning for a fast and easy breakfast.
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups steel-cut oats
- 1/3 cup ground flaxseed
- 2/3 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted and divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons toasted hazelnut oil
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat combine water, oats, flaxseed, cherries and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon nuts, and cinnamon. Place 1 cup oatmeal in each of 6 bowls; sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon nuts and drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil.
Source: adapted from Cooking Light, May 2004