You have just found The Best Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake Recipe! This old fashioned mayonnaise cake is full of classic and traditional flavors that are both sweet and irresistible. You will get lots of indulgent chocolatey goodness with every taste of this mayo cake. It’s an easy, homemade cake that pleases a crowd and is great for all sorts of occasions.
The Best Chocolate-Mayonnaise Cake Recipe
This old fashioned salad dressing cake is something I have been making for years and years. Surprisingly, I hadn’t posted it on Sweet Pea’s Kitchen sooner! Without a doubt, I know you will enjoy this incredible Duke’s mayo cake, and it will quickly become one of your favorite traditional cakes.
If you’ve never eaten a mayo cake before, I can understand why you may be slightly hesitant. The thought of adding mayonnaise to a cake seems strange, but until you try it, you won’t understand how incredible it is. Mayonnaise will make the cake so moist and delicious; once you try it, you may not want to try anything different.
You can take this chocolate mayonnaise cake to pretty much any function you can think of. Anniversary parties, birthday parties, baby showers, potlucks, fancy dinner parties, backyard pool parties, and the list goes on! For real, you can make this insanely good mayo cake for all sorts of reasons.
What is A Mayonnaise Cake
A mayonnaise cake is one that is made with mayo to keep the cake super moist. Your grandparents probably grew up eating these kinds of cakes, and they have stood the test of time and are still available nowadays. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, better than rich mayo cake.
Can I Use Miracle Whip Instead of Mayonnaise
No, you should only use real mayonnaise for this cake recipe. If you try to use Miracle Whip, the tanginess will be noticeable, and it doesn’t pair well with the other sweet ingredients. If you have to swap the mayo, you would be better to go with sour cream instead.
How to Know When Cake Is Done
There are several things to look for when baking a cake to tell if it’s done. First of all, the cake should start pulling away from the edges of the pan once it’s done. This is a great indicator that it has cooked up properly. Another thing to try is to take your fingertips and ever so lightly touch the top of the cake. If the cake bounces back right away, it’s done, and if it sinks and leaves and indent then, it needs to bake longer. Lastly, and the most reliable method is by sticking a toothpick in the center of the cake. It should come out clean when it’s done.
What Do You Use For Frosting Of Cake
Frosting a cake is fairly simple if you have the correct equipment. Before starting, make sure the cake has cooled down all the way. If you frost it too early, it will be a disaster. If possible, use a turntable so you can easily spin the cake without too much effort. If there is a dome on top of the cake, use a knife to cut it, so it is even. Then use a spatula and add frosting to the cake. Slowly spin the turn-table as you go around the sides and on the top.
Any leftover cake can be kept at room temperature. It should be stored in an airtight container for best results. The chocolate mayo cake will last up to 5 days at room temperature. Additionally, you can refrigerate the cake if you want to.
Can You Freeze Leftover Your Cake
Yes, you can freeze the leftover cake. You can choose to leave the entire cake intact or cut it into individual slices. Completely up to you. As long as it’s covered tightly so air can’t get to it, you are all set. The mayo cake will last up to 2 months in the freezer—Thaw before eating.
- Chocolate cake mix
- Real Mayo
- Large eggs
- Round cake board
- Round cake pans (3)
- Unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- Cream cheese, soften
- Hershey special dark cocoa powder
- Pure vanilla extract
- Powder sugar
- Heavy whipping cream
- Large ice cream scooper
How to Make Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Then grease the cake pans with non-stick baking spray and set aside. Then in a stand mixer, you will mix the cake ingredients until the batter is smooth.
2. Divide the cake batter evenly between the 3 cake pans.
3. Bake the cakes in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
4. Allow the freshly baked cakes to cool completely before removing from cake pans.
1. Using a standing mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until combined and smooth.
2. Then you’ll need to gradually mix in the cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt.
3. Very slowly, beat in the powdered sugar until combined and you have a creamy texture.
4. Slowly whisk in the heavy whipping cream until the ice cream is smooth and fluffy.
5. Scoop 1 cup of frosting into the piping bag.
Directions to build the cake
1. Place one layer of cake onto the cake board.
2. Using the ice cream scooper, scoop out 4-6 scoops of frosting and smooth evenly on one layer of cake.
3. Place another layer of cake on top and spread more frosting.
4. Place the last layer on top and frost the remaining cake with remaining frosting.
Save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
- 2 - 15 oz box of chocolate cake mix
- 2 C Real Mayo
- 6 large eggs
- 2 C water
- 1 10in round cake board
- 3 in round cake pans
- 1 1/2 C unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 1 - 8oz cream cheese, soften
- 1 1.2 Hershey special dark cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 7 C powder sugar
- 1/4 C heavy whipping cream
- Large ice cream scooper
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease the cake pans with pam baking spray and set aside. Then in a stand mixer, you will mix the cake ingredients until the batter is smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 3 cake pans.0
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cooling completely before removing from cake pans.
- Using the standing mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until combined and smooth.
- Now you will gradually mix in the cocoa powder, vanilla and salt.
- Very slowly, beat in the powdered sugar until combined and you have a creamy texture.
- Whisk in the heavy whipping cream until the ice cream is smooth and fluffy.
- Scoop 1 cup of frosting into the piping bag.
Directions to build the cake:
- Place 1 layer of cake onto the cake board.
- Using the ice cream scooper, scoop out 4-6 scoops of frosting and smooth evenly on one layer of cake.
- Place another layer of cake on top and spread more frosting.
- Place the last layer on top and frost the remaining cake with remaining frosting.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
Take a peek at these additional intense cakes that you are sure to enjoy!
- Strawberry Pound Cake – If you love moist cakes, then this strawberry pound cake is just what your taste buds are asking for. It’s sweet and divine!
- Chocolate Earthquake Cake – There is nothing more delightful than a rich and decadent chocolate cake. Yummy!
- Layered Cinnamon Roll Cake – If you are a fan of cinnamon rolls, be sure to try out this tasty cake. It’s so good you want to eat it for breakfast.
- Blackberry Margarita Cake with Tequila – What’s cake without a little bit of tequila in it? This flavor is so good you can’t help but love it.