Blackberry Margarita Cake with Tequila Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
You will have a new favorite after you try this Blackberry Margarita Cake with Tequila! It’s a sweet and delicious infused tequila cake that is boozy, quick, easy, and a great birthday cake idea—time to indulge in this margarita cake for your next event or party.
Blackberry Margarita Cake with Tequila Recipe
I am pretty much obsessed with this Patron infused cake. First of all, it starts with a boxed cake mix; then you transform it into this fantastically fun party cake! What’s better than that? Then the flavor of the blackberry margarita cake is unlike anything you have ever tried before. It’s sweet, soft, moist, and fluffy too. Not to mention, it’s a BLAST to decorate.
Can I Swap Out The Flavor of Cake Mix
Oh yes! You can easily swap out the flavor of cake mix when making this margarita birthday cake. We love to use chocolate, strawberry, French vanilla, and devils food. Feel free to try all sorts of cakes and let us know which ones turned out great and which ones don’t.
What Is The Best Brand of Alcohol To Use
We are huge Patron tequila fans at our house. So, that’s what I recommend. However, if you aren’t a fan or have another kind of tequila, that’s more than fine. All of them work and will make the blackberry margarita cake delightful. So, go wild and add your favorite because you can’t go wrong.
Can Kids Eat This Margarita Cake
No, due to the tequila in the frosting, the cake shouldn’t be eaten by adults. Additionally, there is tequila in the cake itself too. There are some that will let kids eat cakes if it’s been baked because the alcohol bakes out of it, but that part is up to you. I don’t recommend giving it to kids.
Topping Ideas For Margarita Cake Recipe
I love how creative you can get when making this margarita cake. It’s fun to play with the toppings and see what you can come up with. Here are a few ideas we have tried and loved:
- Fresh Blackberries – Add some fresh blackberries all over the top of the cake. You can arrange them, so they are lined up a certain way or toss them all over to appear more natural. Either way is a great idea!
- Raspberries – I love the combination of blackberries and raspberries together. Add some for a sweet surprise.
- Lime – Slice some limes very thin and place them all over the top of the cake. It’s very wonderful with this margarita birthday cake.
- Sugar – Sprinkle some large sugar crystals on the cake to taste like a real margarita.
- Salt – Again, you can add a few salt crystals on top of the cake. Don’t go overboard because a little bit goes a long way.
Storing The Cake
Keep the frosted cake in the refrigerator. It needs to be kept inside of an airtight container, and it needs to be sealed well. The cake will last 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
Is This Cake Freezer Friendly
Yes, this cake is freezer friendly, so it’s great for making ahead of time. I recommend waiting to frost the cake until you are ready to serve it, just because it tastes better that way. If you already frosted the cake and need to freeze it, it will be okay too.
Can I Make This Cake in Advance
Yes, you can make this cake in advance. Just keep it refrigerated or in the freezer until you are ready to serve it.
There aren’t a lot of ingredients needed to whip up this margarita cake. You will probably want to lick the plate clean after you eat the cake too. Okay, maybe that’s just me! But it’s truly so yummy.
- White cake mix (2)
- Canola oil
- Unsalted butter
- Whole milk
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Lime extract
- Lime zested
- Blackberry dessert sauce (here)
How to Make
This is such an easy margarita cake recipe to make. You don’t have a lot of steps, and the flavor tastes like you spent all day making it. Let’s get started:
Step 1. Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Then add a light layer of spray to your 9×13 pan to prevent sticking.
Step 2. Use a hand mixer or stand mixer and combine the cake mixes, eggs, oil, and tequila in a large bowl. Gently fold in the blackberries at the end.
Step 3. Pour the cake batter into the pan and bake the cake for 30-35 minutes or until the cake is fully cooked.
Step 4. Place freshly baked cake on a cooling rack to cool all the way.
Step 1. In a pan on the stove, you’ll need to warm up the butter and milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
Step 2. After it’s boiling, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the confectioner sugar, tequila, and lime zest.
Step 3. Gently spread the tequila glaze over the warm cake.
Step 4. Then using the blackberry sauce, pipe lines going horizontal across the top of the cake.
Step 5. Then use a sharp knife or butter knife, and pull the knife going vertical to create the detailed work. Or if you don’t want to decorate, you can drizzle the sauce over the whole cake!
Step 6. Cut the cake and serve your margarita cake for your family and friends.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Blackberry Margarita Sheet Cake
- 2 boxes of white cake mix
- 6 eggs
- 2 2/3 C of water
- 2/3 C of canola oil
- 1 C of blackberries
- ¼ C tequila
- 1/2 C unsalted butter
- 1/2 C whole milk
- 5 C confectioners' sugar
- 2 tbsp lime extract
- 4 tbsp tequila
- 1 large lime zested
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Then spray your 9x13 pan with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Now you will start with your hand mixer or stand mixer and mix up the cake mix, eggs, oil, and tequila. Fold in the blackberries at the end.
- Pour the cake mixture into the pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the cake is fully cooked.
- Place cake on a cooling rack to cool.
- In a pan on the stove you will warm up your butter and milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Once it boils remove from the heat and stir in the confectioner sugar, tequila, and lime zest.
- Spread the tequila glaze over the warm cake,
- Using the blackberry sauce, pipe lines going horizontal across the top of the cake.
- Then grab a sharp knife or butter knife, pull the knife going vertical to create the detailed work. Or if you don’t want to decorate you can drizzle the sauce over the whole cake!
- Cut and serve your margarita cake for your family and friends.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
Take a look at these dream-worthy cake recipes too. They are amazing and are just waiting for you to get in the kitchen and whip them up! Let’s take a look so you can get started:
- Easy Rainbow Poke Cake – I love the vibrant colors of this bright and cheery cake. We make this for family birthdays sometimes too. Or whenever we want something playful to eat.
- Raspberry Chocolate Cake Torte – This cake is seriously amazing, and we never have any leftovers. It goes quickly because we can resist it.
- Banana Cake with Marshmallow Frosting and Caramel Drizzle – We are infatuated with this cake! It’s a family favorite.
- Delicious Apple Crumb Cake – You can never go wrong with making a crumb cake. They are great for anniversary dinners, parties, potlucks, and more.