Nurture your sweet tooth with some of these delectable red velvet whoopie pies. When you sink your teeth into the cake-like cookies sandwiched with cream cheese whoopie pie filling, you’ll think you are in heaven.
These red velvet sandwich cookies are lovely for Christmas, Valentine’s Day, and any other event or holiday you have coming up.
I’ve made these for friends many times, and they always compliment me saying they are the best whoopie pie recipe they have ever tried. So, try this easy whoopie pie recipe to impress your friends and family.
All you need is 12-ingredients and a desire to eat something amazing.
What Is A Whoopie Pie?
A whoopie pie is a sandwich cookie that has a cakey texture. They are filled with a creamy filling that’s sweet and delicious. The traditional whoopie pies were made with chocolate cakes, but over the years they have evolved to many different flavors.
Whoopie pies get their names from back in the old days when kids would end up having these special treats in their lunch box. When they opened the box and saw them, legend has it that they would yell “whoopie” from excitement!
Ingredients In This Red Velvet Whoopie Pie Recipe
For the Whoopie Pies:
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Brown sugar
- Red food coloring
For the Filling:
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
How To Make Whoopie Pies
You don’t have to get bored in the dessert department! You can add some pizzazz to your life with these homemade whoopie pies. They are so good, and you can’t help but smile every time you eat them. Here are the easy instructions to make the best whoopie pie recipe:
First Step: Start out by preheating the oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare the baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
Second Step: Mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
Third Step: Beat the butter in a large mixing bowl in a stand mixer. Add in the brown sugar until it’s fluffy and light. Add in the egg and vanilla.
Fourth Step: Slowly alternate adding in the buttermilk and flour mixture to the butter mixture. Beat after each time you add a little. Continue mixing until it’s combined then add in the food coloring.
Fifth Step: Place heaping spoonfuls of the dough onto the baking sheets. Make sure they are 1-inch apart and bake for 9-11 minutes.
Sixth Step: Let the cookies cool on a rack until they are room temperature.
Seventh Step: While the cookies are cooling, make the cream cheese filling. Combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla until it’s smooth and creamy. Place the filling into a piping bag.
Eighth Step: Put the filling on the backside of half the cookies and add another cookie to make a sandwich.
Whoopie Pie Variations
These whoopie pies are made with scrumptious red velvet cookies, and the filling is amazing too. I wanted to share a few ideas that you could try for different effects. Take a look at these yummy ideas:
- Mini Chocolate Chips – Mix mini chocolate chips in the whoopie pie filling. Then roll the whoopie pies in a bowl of mini chocolate chips. They will look so festive and playful.
- Crushed Candy Canes – Chop up candy canes by placing them in a zip lock bag and roll over them with a rolling pin. Add them to the filling, and they will be so adorable.
- Sprinkles – Roll the sandwiched cookies in sprinkles. You can choose all different colors, but red and black are my favorites. Great for Christmas or Valentine’s Day.
- Food Coloring – Add a few drops of food coloring to the filling to make them even brighter and more fun. Green, blue, purple, and anything else you like would all go great with the red velvet.
How Do I Make Each Side Of Whoopie Pie The Same Size?
Making the cookies uniform sizes is vital to ensure the whoopie pies will be the same size. Use a cookie scoop to make sure they are the same size for each cookie. I prefer to make the smaller red velvet whoopies because they are easiest to work with. However, you can make larger cookies using a bigger scoop if you want.
How Do You Store Red Velvet Whoopie Pies?
Red velvet sandwich cookies should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They need to be kept cold due to the cream cheese in the filling of the cookies. They will last around 4-5 days in the fridge.
If you ever notice that the cookies don’t seem right, they may have spoiled. Often there is an odor when they start to spoil. You may also notice mold or that they are very dried out. Don’t eat them if they seem spoiled. It’s best to toss them out and start a new batch.
How To Freeze Whoopie Pies
For best results, wrap each homemade whoopie pie up separately with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. This way, they don’t freeze together, and you can just grab one or two at a time as needed. Place all of the wrapped cookies in a storage container or freezer bag.
To serve, just thaw them in the refrigerator until they have defrosted. Then you can devour them like normal! They will last up to 3 months in the freezer, so they are great for meal planning, party planning, or grabbing a quick sweet treat.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
For the Whoopie Pies:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
For the Filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment; set aside. In medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium to high 30 seconds. Beat in brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating after each addition just until combined. Stir in food coloring.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, about 1-inch apart.
- Bake 9 to 11 minutes, or until tops are set. Cool completely on baking sheets on rack. Remove cooled cookies from baking sheets.
- To make the cream filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. Add vanilla extract and beat until combined. Transfer to a piping bag and pipe onto back of 1/2 the cookies.
Source: adapted from Better Homes and Gardens
If you love how yummy these red velvet sandwich cookies are, I think you’ll love some of my other tasty desserts. Take a look:
Black Forest Chocolate Crinkle Cookie – These classic black forest cookies is a reader favorite. They are so moist and easy to make.
Easy Strawberry Galette Recipe – You’re going to be addicted to these incredible galettes. Serve these for brunch or dessert!
Mocha Chocolate Caramel Cookie Recipe – Every time I make these cookies, my mouth is watering as the bake. The aroma is out of this world.
The Best Cake Recipe Ever – You can make this for a baby shower, reunion, or even a dinner party. It’s so easy, and you won’t find a better cake recipe.