Favorite Slow Cooker Pot Roast
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
This easy slow cooker pot roast with potatoes is the best pot roast recipe you’ll ever try. There’s a reason it’s called our favorite slow cooker pot roast ever! It pulls apart tender (as any pot roast should be), full of flavor and easy to make.
True comfort food you can’t go wrong with! Try this easy slow cooker pot roast recipe today.
Why is this the best pot roast recipe slow cooker method? Not only is the easy slow cooker pot roast easy but it’s delicious, and I have to say, the roast comes out melt-in-your-mouth good.
The secret? The red wine vinegar! That, combined with the onion soup mix, makes for a flavorful and tender roast.
Scroll to bottom for printable recipe card.
How To Make A Roast In A Crock Pot
If you haven’t made easy slow cooker pot roast, then you are going to be super impressed! This is the ideal set it and forget it type of meal you have been looking for. You don’t have to babysit this yummy pot roast recipe slow cooker method, because the Crock Pot does all the work, so you don’t have to.
As you can see from the ingredients, you don’t need a whole lot to make this flavorful beef pot roast. Okay, I won’t keep you waiting because I know you are eager to find out how to make this slow cooker pot roast.
First Step: Place the entire chuck roast in the bottom of the slow cooker.
Second Step: Sprinkle the slow cooker pot roast onion soup mix on top of the chuck roast.
Third Step: Pour in the red wine vinegar. Make sure to get it all over the top of the meat. It’s okay if some runs off, so don’t worry when it happens.
Fourth Step: Place the large cuts of white potatoes around the outer side of the roast.
Fifth Step: Sprinkle in diced onion pieces all over the roast and potatoes.
Sixth Step: Put baby carrots into the slow cooker.
Seventh Step: Place large pieces of cut celery to the slow cooker.
Eighth Step: Season everything with salt and pepper to taste.
Ninth Step: Cook on low for 8 hours.
After that, it’s time to break out the dishes and gobble up all your hard (just kidding, totally easy) work. As soon as you taste it, you will understand why this is the best pot roast recipe slow cooker method there is!
Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast Tips
There isn’t much too making this pot roast recipe slow cooker method! I wanted to give you a few tips or ideas that might help you out along the way.
- Carrots – I use baby carrots when I make this beef pot roast recipe because they are so much faster. You can toss them in the slow cooker and no cutting necessary. You can use any carrots that you want and chop them up as big or small as you wish. I like the carrots to be larger, but you can also cut them pretty fine.
- Potatoes – I like russet, but you can use others. Red potatoes and sweet potatoes are also a nice change. I removed the skin before placing them in the easy slow cooker pot roast, but you can also leave the skin on.
- Gravy – After the slow cooker pot roast has finished cooking, you can make gravy out of the juice. Place some of the liquid in a saucepan. Place some cold water in a bowl with a little cornstarch once the juice mixture is boiling add in the cornstarch and water mix. Stir until it’s thick, then serve over the meat. I usually do 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water, per 1 cup of sauce.
Pot Roast Recipe Slow Cooker Variations
- Bay Leaves – An excellent addition to the slow cooker pot roast onion soup mix is a couple of bay leaves. Toss them in, and they give a subtle flavor to the dish.
- Beef Broth – I like the extra beefy flavor it adds to the onion soup mix and red wine vinegar. I like to add 1/2 or 1 cup every once in a while.
- Worcestershire Sauce – Worcestershire gives a terrific saltiness and zip of flavor to the best pot roast recipe slow cooker method!
- Mushrooms – They are a great element to add to the recipe to make it the best pot roast ever.
Do You Need To Add Water To Roast?
I know that lots of people add water to a roast before cooking it in the slow cooker. There isn’t anything wrong with adding in a little bit of water, but it’s certainly not required. When you make this slow cooker pot roast recipe, you will find that the moisture inside of the roast comes out as it’s cooking. This is why you end up with a fair amount of liquid in the slow cooker.
I find that it tastes better to skip adding water and just add some liquid that enhances flavor instead, like the red wine vinegar. The pot roast will still be plenty moist and flavorful without adding water.
Can I Make Slow Cooker Pot Roast In The Instant Pot?
Yes, you can make my favorite slow cooker pot roast in a pressure cooker. It will be slightly different but will result in a scrumptious beef pot roast. To start, you will want to use place 3/4 cups beef broth in the bottom of Instant Pot, then place the roast on top of the juice. Next, add in the onion soup mix and red wine vinegar. Place the pressure cooker to the manual setting and cook for 55 minutes. Then do a quick release and add in veggies. Cook for an additional 10 minutes. Do another quick release, and you are ready to serve!
What Is Chuck Eye Roast?
Chuck eye roast is a deliciously flavorful cut of beef that makes a terrific slow cooker pot roast. The meat comes from the narrow muscles in the center of the shoulder of the cow. When it’s cooked slowly in the Crock Pot, it can become fall apart tender.
How To Store The Best Pot Roast Recipe Slow Cooker
Store leftover pot roast in the refrigerator in an airtight container. You can also store it by tightly wrapping it in aluminum foil. It will last an average of 4 days in the fridge.
Can You Freeze Leftover Cooked Roast?
Yes, you can freeze leftover cooked roast. Always store it in an airtight freezer bag or container. This will protect it from freezer burn. Leftovers will last 2-3 months.
How Do I Reheat Leftover Pot Roast?
If frozen, place leftover pot roast in the fridge the night before and allow it to thaw. Once it’s thawed or when you remove it from the fridge it can be cooked in a preheated oven. I recommend turning the oven to 300 degrees F. and place the chuck roast in a baking dish with a 1/4 cup of beef broth. Cover and allow to warm up for 25-30 minutes until heated all the way through.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later:
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Favorite Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- 1 3 to 4 pound beef chuck roast
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 to 5 russet potatoes, scrubbed and cut in large pieces
- 1 1 pound bag baby carrots, rinsed
- 2 stalks celery, cut in large pieces
- 1 onion, cut in large pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we'll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- Place beef roast in crock or roasting pan (if cooking in the oven) with the fatty side up so the fat drippings baste the roast as it cooks. Rub onion soup mix into all sides of the beef chuck roast. Pour red wine vinegar over seasoning. Cover with lid (slow cooker) or aluminum foil (roasting pan).
- Add the potatoes, onions, carrots, and celery to the slow cooker or roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- In the oven, the roast should cook for about 4 hours at 250 degrees or until the roast is fork-tender. For cooking in the slow cooker, cook on low for 8 hours or until fork-tender.
- Pull apart roast using two forks and serve.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
More Crockpot Recipes To Try
Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings – you’ll love this easy crockpot chicken recipe!
Potato Soup – Deliciously creamy and filling slow cooker baked potato soup.
Pork Chops and Potatoes – Real comfort food meal the entire family will love.