This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
The first time I tried this recipe for lasagna was over eight years ago and it quickly become a family favorite. It is one of the first recipes that I made from. It had so many rave reviews that I just couldn’t pass it up. A little tweaking here and there has made this recipe my go to comforting Italian dish.
Thin layers of pasta sheets layered with a rich homemade meat sauce and three types of cheese. Twelve layers of pure comfort food at its finest! 🙂 Serve this lasagna up with a giant slice of garlic bread for a meal that will have everyone coming back for seconds!
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 6 ounce cans tomato paste
- 2 6.5 ounce cans canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, divided
- 12 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced, divided
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we'll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally.
- In the last 30 minutes of simmering time, soak lasagna noodles in a large bowl of very hot tap water, making sure the noodles are completely submerged.
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, nutmeg, egg, salt and remaining 2 tablespoons of parsley.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- To assemble the lasagna, spread a ⅓ of the meat sauce into the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Arrange 4 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread ⅓ of the ricotta cheese mixture over the noodles. Top with ⅓ of mozzarella cheese slices and ¼ cup of parmesan cheese. Repeat 2 more layers, finishing with the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese layer.
- Spray one side of a piece of foil with non-stick cooking spray (to prevent the cheese from sticking) and cover the dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!