Nutella Stuffed Pancakes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Nutella pancakes are a deliciously decadent stuffed pancake recipe perfect for a special breakfast. Served with fresh strawberries, they’re perfect for a romantic or holiday brunch too! I’m really excited to share with you how to make Nutella pancakes!
Of all the meals in the day, breakfast is typically the one I spend the least amount of time on. Cereals, eggs, and bars are my go-to if I don’t skip the meal altogether. Mornings are all about getting the kids up and ready for school (where they eat breakfast). However, every once in a while, I do like to turn breakfast into a special occasion with something sweet and decadent, like these Nutella pancakes. Plus, sometimes we just crave pancakes from scratch, and these fit the bill. Try fried Nutella dumplings if you need more Nutella in your life.
Nutella Stuffed Pancakes
Nutella Stuffed Pancakes are actually surprisingly easy to make, even making the pancakes from scratch. And, they’re remarkably mess-free to cook. (Mess-free while eating is a different story, especially when served to kids…) This really is the best pancake recipe I have made in a long time.
One thing is for sure when you serve Nutella pancakes to anyone they are going to go crazy for them. There isn’t anything more rewarding than watching people take the first bite of this sweet goodness because they aren’t expecting the Nutella. Just be prepared to give out the recipe all the time! 🙂
It seems that stuffed pancake recipes have become the new thing for an indulgent brunch or breakfast lately. After trying the best pancake recipe ever, I can definitely understand why! Each bite of these is rich, decadent, and delicious!
Since the Nutella is so sweet and gooey, I find that syrup is optional on these Nutella pancakes. If you’re feeling extra indulgent, you could top these with whipped cream for a dessert-like brunch.
I make these Nutella pancakes frequently as a weekend breakfast treat for my kids (and myself, let’s be honest) but they’re definitely not a kids-only breakfast. I’m looking forward to making these for an upcoming girlfriends brunch, served with my favorite mimosa recipe.
If I’m enjoying Nutella stuffed pancakes with the family, I usually eat them with a big glass of milk. It’s almost like eating a giant cookie for breakfast. Sometimes I surprise them by letting them think I’ve made regular pancakes until they bite into the gooey hazelnut center. To add some protein, I may also cook up some bacon or sausage and eggs, but I find my kids are too interested in the pancakes to care about any of that.
Served with fresh strawberries, Nutella Stuffed Pancakes can also pass as a festive holiday breakfast. If you’re looking for an easy but special Christmas morning breakfast, these fluffy pancakes are definitely perfect. If there’s ever a day to go all out for breakfast, wouldn’t a holiday be it? Whether it’s Christmas or Valentine’s Day, this Nutella pancake recipe makes a festive breakfast or brunch treat!
How To Make Nutella Pancakes
You are going to be so glad you learned how to make Nutella pancakes because they are truly amazing! You feel like you are eating dessert instead of breakfast. Yummy! Okay, time to get started.
Step 1: To get started, you will need to line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
Step 2: To make the Nutella discs you will need to use a spoon or small cookie scoop to put about 1-2 tablespoons of Nutella onto the baking sheet and use the back of the spoon to spread it into a disc shape, continuing until you have at least eight discs.
Step 3: Chill the Nutella discs in the freezer for around 20 minutes. Begin heating a pancake griddle or skillet to medium-low heat.
Step 4: In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar and whisk together.
Step 5: Whisk together egg, milk, and butter in a liquid measuring cup and mix into the dry ingredients just until combined.
NOTE: Do not overmix the batter, as this will produce tough pancakes. And no one wants that!
Step 6: Lightly grease the preheated pan and scoop 1/4 cup of batter onto the pan.
Step 7: Lay a disc of Nutella in the center of the pancake and top with more batter to cover the Nutella. You will do this for each Nutella pancake.
Step 8: Cook pancakes until the edges begin to appear dry and bubble on the top of the batter pop. Then flip the pancake and cook.
Step 9: Serve hot with strawberries.
Homemade Pancakes Variations
Everything about these pancakes from scratch is so amazing! You can eat them plain, just the way they are or you can change them up a little bit. Try some of these ideas:
- Chocolate Chips – If you don’t already have enough chocolate flavor in the best pancake recipe ever, then why not add in some more chocolate! I like to add 1/4 – 1/2 cup of chocolate chips to the batter. So rich and divine!
- Raspberries – Place some fresh, juicy raspberries on top of the pancakes with a little bit of whipped cream. Yum!
- Bananas – Serve with some sliced bananas. Nutella pancakes and bananas are the perfect marriage of flavors.
- Nuts – Crush up some of your favorite nuts like hazelnuts, cashews, pecans, or walnuts and toss them in the batter. They add a nice crunch to the easy homemade pancakes.
Why Do My Pancakes Taste Bad?
If you happened to make a pancake stack that doesn’t taste the best, there is a logical reason. One of the most essential ingredients is the baking powder or soda (depending on your recipe). If you put too much baking powder in accidentally then they probably aren’t going to raise enough. Then consequently, if you don’t put in enough baking powder, they will go the opposite and rise too much. This will cause the pancakes from scratch to have a bitter taste.
It’s crucial when you are making something like easy homemade pancakes. You will want to follow the ingredients precisely because that is what makes them so good. It can be very easy to get in a hurry and just pour ingredients in without measuring. The result won’t be the best in most cases.
How Do You Stop Pancakes From Burning?
We have all been there and thought you were going to make gorgeous fluffy pancakes, only to end up with burnt discs that would be better served to play a round of hockey with than eat. After you learn how to make Nutella pancakes and follow these helpful tips, you will be a pancake stack building guru!
- Always make sure to use a seasoned cast iron skillet or pancake griddle that’s non-stick.
- Grease the pan with oil or oil spray to keep the Nutella pancakes from sticking.
- Make sure that you don’t start cooking the pancakes until the skillet is the proper temperature. The best way to test the temperature is to sprinkle a little water on the skillet. If it skates across the surface, it’s ready to start making pancakes.
- Don’t leave the pancakes unattended! As you start to see little bubbles, then it’s cooking! When the bubbles are all over the pancake, it’s time to flip it.
Can You Make Pancakes Ahead Of Time?
Yes, for sure you can make the best pancake recipe ever ahead of time! You will actually thank yourself on those hectic mornings when you need something to eat fast. The best way to freeze homemade pancakes is to begin by flash freezing them. In order to flash freeze the pancakes place them in a single layer on a baking dish for 1-2 hours until they are pretty firm. Then you can take them off the baking sheet and put them in a freezer bag or another airtight container.
When you are ready to eat them, you can take them directly from the freezer and heat them up. It’s easiest to toss them in the microwave to reheat them. They will heat up fast so only go 20 seconds at a time until they reach the temperature you like.
Can You Make Pancakes Without Milk?
Yes, you can make pancakes without milk. There is nothing worse than starting making these homemade pancakes from scratch only to figure out you are out of milk! The good news is that the milk can be replaced with another liquid. You can use water, juice, almond milk, chocolate milk, or any other version of milk you have on hand. Some people even use beer (but I don’t think that sounds terribly appealing). Try different liquids to end up with many different flavors.
Can You Make Pancakes Without Eggs?
Nutella pancakes can be made without eggs. This is great if you have an aversion or allergy to eggs. The best alternative to using eggs is replacing it with fruit. Applesauce, pumpkin puree, or mashed bananas are all great choices. I would start with 1/4 cup of whichever fruit you want per egg. This will still be the best pancake recipe, and the fruit will give it an even sweeter flavor.
Now, let’s pin this hearty Nutella Stuffed Pancakes for later:
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Nutella Stuffed Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups Nutella, chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 3 tbsp. melted butter
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
- Use a spoon to scoop about 1-2 tablespoons of Nutella onto the baking sheet and use the back of the spoon to spread it into a disc shape, continuing until you have at least 8 discs.
- Place in the freezer to chill for about 20 minutes. Begin heating a pancake griddle or skillet to medium-low heat.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl and whisk.
- Whisk together egg, milk, and butter in a liquid measuring cup and mix into the dry ingredients just until combined. Do not overmix the batter, as this will produce tough pancakes.
- Lightly grease the preheated pan and scoop 1/4 cup of batter onto the pan.
- Lay a disc of Nutella in the center of the pancake and top with more batter to cover the Nutella.
- Cook pancake until the edges begin to appear dry and bubbles on the top of the batter pop. Then flip the pancake and cook.
- Serve hot with strawberries.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
Make sure your check our delicious Fried Nutella Dumplings – A Nutella dessert recipe that’s quick, easy and oh-so-good. Made with only 3 ingredients, these dessert dumplings are guaranteed to be a hit!
More Breakfast Recipes To Try:
Low Carb Breakfast Casserole – This low carb breakfast casserole is the perfect make-ahead dish.
Breakfast Banana Split – frozen yogurt, fruit, granola, what could be a better way to start your day?