Best Buttermilk Pancakes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
The best buttermilk pancakes recipe is here. These are fluffy pancakes that are easy to make and will stop you from ever reaching for that premade store-bought pancake mix.
Scroll to bottom for printable recipe card.
Best Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe
Buttermilk pancakes are perfect for breakfast, lunch dinner or brunch. We love having pancakes often. They are easy to make and they are easy to change up. The possibilities are endless with this buttermilk pancake recipe,
Can I Freeze This Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe?
I love making extras when whenever we are planning to make buttermilk pancakes. I love being able to have pancakes whenever we want them, but I do not always have time to make them when we want them. I skip the freezer section when it comes to having pancakes and I make extras to put them in the freezer. After the pancakes have cooled, I place a layer of parchment or wax paper between each layer so that I can take out however many I want when I want them. I like to reheat them
What are the Best Toppings for Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes?
When it comes to topping these fluffy buttermilk pancakes, the only limit is your imagination. There are so many things that you can do.
You can add chocolate chips, blueberries or strawberries, apple pie filling or other delicious fruit pie fillings, and just about anything else you like as a topping. You can use different types of compotes or syrups to take your buttermilk pancakes to the next level. There are times that I also combine toppings. I love to put peanut butter on the pancakes and then top it with a few chocolate chips. It is a great way to have the pancakes you love and get some protein in it.
Try different tastes to see how many ways you can change up your pancakes.
How to Reheat Pancakes
Whether the pancakes are in the refrigerator or you have them in the freezer, you want to reheat them before you eat them. Warm pancakes always taste the best. You can reheat the pancakes in the microwave or toaster oven. If they are small pancakes like silver dollar sized, you can also reheat them in the toaster although this gives the outside a slightly crispier outside. The microwave gives the most like fresh made texture when it comes to reheating.
How Long Do Buttermilk Pancakes Last in the Refrigerator?
When you wrap the pancakes in plastic or keep them in an airtight container, the buttermilk pancakes can last for about4 to 5 days in the refrigerator. When you store then in the freezer, the pancakes will last for about 3 months, but only if they are wrapped well. If the pancakes are not wrapped well, in the refrigerator or the freezer, they will get hard and not taste good.
Ingredients for Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe
- Unbleached all-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Table salt
- Sour cream
- Unsalted butter
- Vegetable oil
How to Make Buttermilk Pancakes
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, sour cream, eggs, and melted butter; set aside.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients; pour in milk mixture and whisk very gently until just combined (batter will be lumpy). Do not over mix. Allow batter to sit 10 minutes before cooking.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Using paper towels, carefully wipe out oil, leaving a thin film of oil on the bottom and sides of the pan. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto 4 spots on a skillet. Cook until edges are set, the first side is golden brown, and bubbles on surface are just beginning to break, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a thin, wide spatula, flip pancakes and continue to cook until the second side is golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Repeat with remaining batter, using remaining oil as necessary. Serve pancakes immediately.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Best Buttermilk Pancakes
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, 10 ounces
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sour crea
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 - 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we'll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- In medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, sour cream, eggs, and melted butter; set aside.
- Make a well in center of the dry ingredients; pour in milk mixture and whisk very gently until just combined (batter will be lumpy). Do not over mix. Allow batter to sit 10 minutes before cooking.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Using paper towels, carefully wipe out oil, leaving thin film of oil on bottom and sides of pan. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto 4 spots on skillet. Cook until edges are set, first side is golden brown, and bubbles on surface are just beginning to break, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a thin, wide spatula, flip pancakes and continue to cook until second side is golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Repeat with remaining batter, using remaining oil as necessary. Serve pancakes immediately.
- To make on an electric griddle, set the griddle temperature to 350 degrees and cook as directed.
- A lower-protein all-purpose flour (like Gold Medal or Pillsbury) is best for this recipe, however, if you use an all-purpose flour with a higher protein content (like King Arthur) you will need to add an extra tablespoon or two of buttermilk.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
Want More Sweet Breakfast Recipes
When it comes to having the best sweet breakfast recipes, you are going to love these recipes. Easy to make and oh-so-good, these are the best breakfast recipes you can make.
Nutella Stuffed Pancakes – Nutella pancakes are a deliciously decadent stuffed pancake recipe perfect for a special breakfast. Served with fresh strawberries, they’re perfect for a romantic or holiday brunch too! I’m really excited to share with you how to make Nutella pancakes!
The Very Best Blueberry Pancakes Recipe – You have to try these blueberry buttermilk pancakes. The griddle is hot and the pancakes are fluffy! Thes are perfect to celebrate National Blueberry Pancake Day!
Sweet Breakfast Bake with Chocolate Croissants – This is the very best sweet breakfast bake ever. Chocolately and perfect, this croissants bake it amazing.
Raspberry Cream Cheese Sweet Roll Recipe – Looking for a simple sweet roll recipe? This is a delicious Raspberry Cream Cheese Sweet Roll Recipe that will make a fantastic breakfast or brunch recipe.
Cinnamon Roll Oven French Toast Casserole – Love french toast but don’t have time to stand over the stove to make it? Wait until you try Cinnamon Roll Oven French Toast Casserole. Made with cinnamon rolls, this is the best baked french toast ever.