I love this time of year not only for the warm weather and long days, but also for the irresistible fruit that is beginning to pop up in the grocery stores. The other day I was greeted by numerous containers of plump, bright red strawberries just begging me to buy them. I loaded my cart with strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries-I was in berry heaven! 🙂
One of the first things that I decided to make with my loads of berries was this moist Strawberry Cornmeal Pound Cake. Cornmeal adds a wonderful texture and unexpected crunch to this irresistible pound cake.
Dotted with chunks of luscious strawberries, this pound cake is sure to be a hit at your summer get together.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar plus 2 teaspoons, divided
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 cup sliced strawberries, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom and sides of one 9 x 5-inch loaf pan; dust with flour, tapping out excess.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and 1/2 cup of sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the eggs, one at a time until just incorporated. Add the vanilla and yogurt; beat at medium speed until combined, about 30 seconds. Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed until just combined, about 30 seconds, scraping down the bowl as needed. Fold in strawberries.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth surface with a spatula. Slice a few strawberries into ¼-inch-thick slices. Place strawberry slices straight down the center of the loaf. Sprinkle loaf with remaining 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven 55-60 minutes until golden brown or toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool bread in pan on wire rack 15 minutes, then remove loaf from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
Source: adapted from Babble