Strawberry Crumb Bars are a must-have, especially in the summer months. Sweet strawberries steal the show in these soft and chewy bars. They are perfection and amazing for outdoor barbecues, parties, and potlucks. You’ll pretty much never have leftovers because they get devoured every single time.
Strawberry Crumb Bars
Ahhhh….crumble bars—one of my favorite desserts to make when fresh fruit and berries come into season. Nothing says warmer weather is on the way than fresh berries in the grocery store. Strawberries have been so tempting at the grocery store this past week, not to mention super cheap. These crumble bars are a wonderful way to make it through the next few days of winter. 😉 A thick and buttery bottom layer topped with a sweet strawberry filling and finished off with a buttery, crumbly topping. A dessert that is so simple, yet very satisfying.
Strawberries are always a hit with everyone in my house. So, of course, I am going to make all sorts of strawberry themed recipes, just like these strawberry dessert bars. Once you taste their incredible flavor, I am pretty sure you are going to feel the same way I do.
Do These Strawberry Dessert Bars Need to Be Refrigerated?
No, these strawberry dessert bars don’t have to be refrigerated. I usually prefer to keep them in the fridge if we do have any left because I love the flavor and texture of them when they are chilled. It’s a recipe that’s entirely up to you, and you can keep them cold or leave them on the counter.
No matter where you keep the strawberry dessert bars, make sure that you keep them airtight. You never want to set them where they are going to be exposed to heat from your stove, dishwasher, or in direct sunlight. This will cause them to bad much quicker than normal. They are usually good for 3-4 days, no matter if they are cold or room temperature.
Can I Use Frozen Strawberries?
Yes, you can easily use frozen strawberries instead of fresh if you want. That’s one thing I get excited about when it comes to this easy recipe! It’s versatile, and you can adjust it as needed. On occasion, they will have a great sale on strawberries, and we will freeze them. Then use them in recipes just like this strawberry dessert. You will need to thaw them and run them under cool water to get off any of the extra juices, so they aren’t watery.
Surprisingly, the ingredients in these strawberry bars are simple to work with and easy to find. There isn’t anything difficult or strange about this recipe, unlike some others.
For the Crumble:
- White sugar
- Baking powder
- All-purpose flour
- Unsalted butter, cold
- Egg, lightly beaten
- Zest, lemon
For the Strawberry Filling:
- Juice, lemon
- Diced strawberries
- White sugar
How to Make Strawberry Crumb Bars
These incredibly easy strawberry crumb bars are sure to make your taste buds do little dance! They are so delightful and refreshing too.
First Step: Preheat oven to 375F and butter a 9×13-inch pan. Put a long parchment paper piece in the bottom of the pan and let extra extend out 2 ends, so it is easier to remove from the pan. Butter the paper.
Second Step: For the crumble, using the paddle attachment in a stand mixer combine 1 cup of sugar, flour, and baking powder on low speed. Mix in the salt and lemon zest and mix until combined. Then add the butter, stir with a fork to mix with the flour mixture. Add in the egg and stir on medium speed until it has a coarse cornmeal texture with butter no bigger than small peas. Put half of the dough into the pan and place both the pan and the extra dough in the refrigerator while you prepare the rest.
Third Step: For the filling, stir together the 1/2 cup of sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Mix in the strawberries gently and sprinkle evenly over the crust in the pan. Then cover the berry layer in the remaining dough.
Fourth Step: Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until the top is a light brown color, then cool on a wire rack and place it in the refrigerator before cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
Strawberry Crumb Bars are a must-have, especially in the summer months. Sweet strawberries steal the show in these soft and chewy bars. They are perfection and amazing for outdoor barbecues, parties, and potlucks.
For the Crumble:
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest of one lemon
For the Strawberry Filling:
- Juice of one lemon
- 4 cups diced strawberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-by-13-inch glass or light-colored metal baking pan. Put a long piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, letting the parchment extend up the two short sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. (This will make it easy to remove the bars from the pan after they have baked.) Butter the parchment.
- For the Crumble: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine 1 cup sugar, flour, and baking powder on low speed. Add salt and lemon zest and mix until combined. Add the butter, toss with a fork to coat with the flour mixture. Add egg and mix on medium-low speed until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with the butter pieces no larger than small peas. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan. Place reserved half aside. Place the pan and the remainder of the dough in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling.
- For the Strawberry Filling: In a small bowl, stir together the 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the strawberries. Sprinkle the strawberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely on wire rack then transfer to the refrigerator to chill before cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Source: adapted from Blueberry Crumble Bars
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: american
You Probably saw this recipe and thought, “Wow, that looks amazing.” and then you realized how right you were and thought about how you would eventually need another recipe… so here you go, more recipes!
- Strawberry Cookies with Chocolate Chips – Another amazing recipe that includes strawberries is these delectable cookies. They are filled with sweet chocolate chips and will help all of your cravings along the way. Try them and see for yourself.
- Best Strawberry Layer Cake Recipe – Don’t be scared of making a layered cake like this beautiful strawberry cake. It’s actually very simple and will impress pretty much anyone who tastes it.
- Fresh Strawberry Scones – I can’t help but drool when I think of these delicious strawberry scones. They use fresh strawberries and are so sweet and unforgettable. I can’t wait for you to taste them.
- Sweet Bite-Sized Mini Cherry Pies – Making and eating mini cherry pies is one of my favorite pastimes! They are wonderful for any of these summer barbecues you are heading to or when you want a quick and easy snack.