Ever since I scored some strawberries at the grocery store for super cheap I have been throwing them into muffins, scones, salads, even my oatmeal. It is just too good not to share with all of you! Hearty oatmeal topped with fresh strawberries that have been sliced and macerated in brown sugar.
This oatmeal is sure to keep you full and satisfied for hours. Now you have no excuse to skip breakfast…this one only takes minutes to make! 🙂
- 1 ¾ cups water
- 1 ¾ cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 pint strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons dark-brown sugar, firmly packed, divided
- 4 tablespoon sour cream, divided
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring water, milk, salt, and cinnamon to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and stir in oats; cook, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy, 6 to 8 minutes.
- While the oatmeal is cooking, In a small bowl, toss strawberries with 2 tablespoons firmly packed dark-brown sugar. Let sit at least 5 minutes to bring out the juices.
- Divide oatmeal between four serving bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream. Divide the strawberries among each serving and sprinkle with remaining brown sugar.
Source: adapted from Everyday Food, June 2003
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 306Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 192mgCarbohydrates: 48gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 6gSugar: 19gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 10g