Banana Walnut Muffins
Banana Walnut Muffins packed full of chunks of banana, chopped walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom. These muffins are great for a weekday morning or a leisurely weekend brunch. Instead of mashing the bananas, in this recipe, the bananas are diced so that each bite is packed with delicious banana chunks. A big, thick mushroom-like cap protects the moist center, creating a flavorful and tender crumb. The banana flavor intensifies if you tightly individually wrap these muffins in plastic wrap. Make these the night before and grab one as you are running out the door. So no more excuses! You are never too busy for breakfast.
One Year Ago: Peanut Butter Crispy Bars
Banana Walnut Muffins
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced bananas (about 3 small)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffin cups with muffin liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cardamom, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and light brown sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract. Beat in one-half of dry ingredients. Beat in one-third of yogurt. Beat in remaining dry ingredients in two batches, alternating with yogurt, until incorporated. Using rubber spatula, gently fold in bananas and walnuts.
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups. Bake until muffin tops are golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes, rotating halfway through baking time. Set on wire rack to cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove muffins from tin and serve warm.
Yields: 12 large muffins
Source: adapted from Cook’s Illustrated, January 1997