Slow Roasted Pulled Pork

Tender, flavorful and seasoned slow roasted pulled pork that will knock your socks off! Before I tried this recipe, my go to pulled pork recipe was a slow cooker pulled pork with barbecue sauce. For the longest time I thought that recipe was the best, let’s just say I will be throwing out that recipe! :D This slow roasted pulled pork is absolutely incredible! Tender, flavorful melt in your mouth pulled pork that is slow roasted for up to 12 hours. If you are wanting to serve this pulled pork for an early noon game, put it in the oven and let it cook overnight. The morning before you plan to serve it let it soak in the brine solution all day. Right before you go to bed, season the pork, place in the oven and set an alarm. Who would have thought waking up to the smell of roasting pulled pork could be as intoxicating as coffee? ;) If you happen to have leftovers, they are just as delicious reheated in the oven the next day. Just place in a 350 degree oven for 5-8 minutes and you are ready to go! You can even use the leftovers to make enchiladas, tacos or tostadas. This recipe is one of my favorites to serve for a tailgating party. Football Saturday is a big deal here in my household. Don’t expect anyone in my house to do anything until after the Buckeyes play. Depending on who is playing on any given Saturday sometimes we have nonstop football watching from noon until 11:00pm! If you missed my football tailgating bites from last Saturday, be sure to check it out-it’s a good one-Pizza Pretzel Bites.

If you plan on hosting a tailgating party anytime this football season, check out some of my favorite football bites by clicking here.

One Year Ago: Buttermilk Biscuits

Slow Roasted Pulled Pork

For the Dry Rub:

• 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon ground pepper
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar

For the Brine Solution:

• 1 4-7 pound bone-in pork shoulder roast (Boston Butt)
  • 2 quarts cold water
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons dry rub mix
  • 2 bay leaves

1. Combine all ingredients for the dry rub in a medium bowl and mix well. Store in an airtight container.
  2. Place the pork in a container that’s large enough to submerge it in the brine, but will fit in your refrigerator or cooler.
  3. In a large bowl, add water and salt and stir very well until all the salt is completely dissolved. Add the brown sugar, dry rub, and bay leaves and stir well to combine. Pour the brine solution over the pork, making sure the meat is completely covered. Place a large platter on top of the meat that is roughly the size of the pork and heavy enough to weigh down the meat (so it’s completely submerged in the brine). You can also use a heavy lid, or a light platter that’s weighed down with a couple of cans. Cover the container and place in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
  4. Remove pork from the brine solution, pat dry with paper towels and place in a roasting pan that’s large enough to hold the pork butt with at least 1 inch of extra room on all sides and at least 3 inches deep. Make sure the fat layer on the pork is facing up.
  5. Sprinkle dry rub onto the surface of the shoulder and massage in such that it adheres to the surface. Coat all sides. You may have dry rub mix left depending on the size of your roast. Set the extra dry rub aside to use after the pork has finished roasting.
  6. Place roasting pan uncovered in a 225 degree oven on the middle rack. Do not remove from the oven until the center of the shoulder reaches 200 degrees. Plan between 1.5 to 2 hours per pound for the pork to cook.
  7. When the shoulder has reached 200 degrees (when a thermometer is place into the thickest part of the shoulder, but not touching the bone) turn off the oven and let the roasts temperature drops to 170 degrees (about 2 hours) before removing the shoulder from the oven. Keep the thermometer in the meat, so you can monitor the temperature. If the bottom of the pan is dry, cover the pan with foil during the cooling period.
  8. Place on a large cutting board and remove the large sheet of crusted fat on the top. Pull apart with two forks. Using the reserved dry rub mix, generously season the pulled pork to taste.

Yields: 8 to 16 servings (depending on size of pork shoulder)

Source: Kevin & Amanda

32 Responses to “Slow Roasted Pulled Pork”

Mary Beth — September 10, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

Oh my goodness. This looks like some amazing pulled pork! I will definitely have this recipe in mind when we have our football parties. Thanks for sharing :).

ChgoJohn — September 10, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

Brining is always a good first step and, when combined with that dry rub of yours, that pork roast is destined to make one tasty sandwich. Great recipe!

Margaret Murphy Tripp — September 10, 2011 @ 2:57 pm

I agree with you. I’ve tried pulled pork both ways…cooked low and slow in the oven, and cooked in the slow-cooker with barbeque sauce. I like the oven roasted one better, but then if I have leftovers, I reheat them the next day in the crockpot. Yours looks great! I’ll try it soon, because I haven’t tried the brining step yet.

Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide — September 10, 2011 @ 5:54 pm

I still haven’t done pulled pork this year. Thanks for the reminder!

Baking Serendipity — September 10, 2011 @ 7:59 pm

This sounds amazing! I haven’t had pulled pork in so long and it sounds like an amazing gameday recipe :) Our Saturday revolves around college football too…I love it!

pathguy — September 10, 2011 @ 8:15 pm

Awesome!

Abby's recipes — September 11, 2011 @ 3:31 am

Man that slow roasted pulled pork sandwich looks sooo good! I hope I can find the time to try it. My family would love it. I love trying new dishes. Thanks for the post and great pictures!

Ashley@BakerbyNature — September 11, 2011 @ 10:26 am

Slow roasted pork that melts in your mouth and bursts with flavor is one of life’s great pleasures! This look fantastic; I may have to try them in slider form for the next game party I host. Thanks for sharing :)

Rebecca — September 11, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

Do you have a bean recipe too? They look tasty too. I can’t wait to try this pulled pork!

• Christina replied: — September 20th, 2011 @ 10:03 pm

Rebecca,
      I have not posted the recipe yet for my favorite baked bean recipe. They come from Cook’s Illustrated and you can find it here :).

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 — September 12, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

My brother used to make us pulled pork in his smoker and that was seriously amazing. I was like you and had only made it in a crock pot and while that was good, it just wasn’t the same. This recipe looks like it’s perfect for me because it doesn’t require a smoker but would still give some great, fall-apart pulled pork.

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — September 13, 2011 @ 7:39 am

I love to do pulled pork, but I’ve never brined mine. I’ll definitely have to try that next time!

chicaandaluza — September 15, 2011 @ 2:28 am

Had never heard of pulled pork but we eat a lot of pork here and it´s good so will have to give this a go soon!

13. Pingback: Mini Corn Dogs | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

14. Pingback: Buffalo Chicken Bites | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

15. Pingback: Texas Chili | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

16. Pingback: Beer Battered Fried Pickles | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

mschristiner — October 11, 2011 @ 6:42 am

Thanks for providing this recipe! I’m going to try it. I actually have been looking for a similar recipe for ages since I saw it on Man versus Food a few weeks ago. I’m sure it’s going to be delicious!

18. Pingback: Buffalo Wings | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

19. Pingback: Queso Blanco Dip | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

20. Pingback: Sloppy Joes | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

21. Pingback: Ultimate Spicy Beef Nachos | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

22. Pingback: Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

23. Pingback: Sweet and Sour Meatballs | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

24. Pingback: Fried Mozzarella Cheese Sticks | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

25. Pingback: 25 Superbowl Recipes for Super Bowl XLVI | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

26. Pingback: Recipes for Super Bowl XLVI « Dishing Cupcakes with LaDolceBella

meme — February 2, 2012 @ 12:24 pm

I want to try the rub on baby back ribs. I think it will be great.

robertdickinsonphotography — February 2, 2012 @ 2:15 pm