This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
When it comes to classic comfort food, Garlic Mashed Potatoes are at the top of the list. These creamy garlic mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish to almost any meal. Quick and easy to make, these mashed potatoes should be on your dinner menu.
Homemade Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
What goes great with mashed potatoes?
When it comes to mashed potatoes, it goes with almost anything. You can try any of these recipes that I think will go fantastic with mashed potatoes.
- Crispy Baked Chicken Fingers -Baked chicken fingers are a great alternative to traditional fried chicken fingers. These healthy chicken fingers are perfect when you want that crispy crunch while staying on track eating healthy.
- Best Chicken Marsala Recipe for Slow Cooker – The Best Chicken Marsala Recipe for Slow Cooker is an easy chicken marsala recipe that tastes just as good as going out to your favorite restaurant.
- Juiciest Pressure Cooker Chicken Thighs -Looking for Juiciest Pressure Cooker Chicken Thighs Recipe? Then you are in luck. These pressure cooker chicken thighs are so tender and juicy, you will want to make them every night.
- Best Ever Instant Pot Roast – While pot roast is often served with potatoes that are cooked in with the meat, you can certainly pass on the roasted potatoes and make these garlic mashed potatoes instead.
- BBQ Pulled Slow Cooked Pork Sandwiches – This BBQ Pulled Slow Cooked Pork Sandwiches recipe is the secret to making the BEST BBQ pulled pork sandwiches you’ll ever taste in your life! The pork absolutely melts in your mouth and the hands-on time is so minimal
- Instant Pot Pork Loin Recipe – One bite of Instant Pot Pork loin recipe and you will never want to make any other recipe again. This pork loin is moist and flavorful and done in no time.
How do I make garlic mash?
To make the garlic that will go into this garlic mash, you want to toast the garlic in a skillet. This will soften the garlic and give it a roasted flavor. When you are ready to make the potatoes, it will go in into the processor or rice with the potatoes so that the flavor will get into the potatoes.
How can I thicken my mashed potatoes?
Sometimes it happens that your potatoes are runnier than you would like them. Don’t worry they are not ruined, There are ways to thicken mashed potatoes. You can start by adding a tablespoon of powdered milk, cornstarch, flour, or arrowroot to the pot. All of these options will absorb the excess moisture without adding any flavor to the potatoes. You can also add cheese. Use Pecorino Romano or Cheddar Cheese.
Can you use milk instead of half and half in mashed potatoes?
Half and Half gives mashed potatoes a very creamy texture without adding to much extra fat and calories. If you want to use milk you certainly can. Another option is to use heavy cream. Any of these milk choices will still give your creamy and delicious mashed potatoes.
What to Do With Leftover Mashed Potatoes
When you have extra mashed potatoes you can use them the next day to eat with your leftovers. You can make potatoes pancakes, with are thickened mashed potatoes, that are pan fried in butter to create a crispy outside with dense potatoes inside. You can also add mashed potatoes to soups and stews to thicken them and create a new version of the soup. You can also freeze the potatoes.
Ingredients for Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Unsalted butter
- Table salt
- Ground black pepper
How to Make Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Step 1. In a small skillet over low heat, toast garlic, covered, shaking pan frequently, until cloves are dark spotty brown and slightly softened about 22 minutes. Off heat, let stand, covered until fully softened, 15 to 20 minutes. Peel cloves and trim off the woody root end. Set aside.
Step 2. While garlic is toasting, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with 1-inch cold water. Bring to boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain.
Step 3. Spear potato with dinner fork then peels back skin with a paring knife. Cut the potatoes into rough chunks.
Step 4. For smooth mashed potatoes, set food mill or ricer over now empty but still warm saucepan. Drop potatoes and garlic into the hopper of a food mill or potato ricer. Process or rice potatoes into a saucepan. Stir in butter with a wooden spoon until incorporated; gently whisk in the half-and-half, salt, and pepper to taste. For chunky mashed potatoes, use a potato masher, decrease the half-and-half to 3/4 cup, and mash the garlic to a paste with a fork before you add it to the potatoes. Serve immediately.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Homemade Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 22 cloves garlic, small to medium-large, about 3 ounces, from 2 medium heads garlic, skins left on
- 2 pounds potatoes, unpeeled and scrubbed (Yukon Gold is best)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup half-and-half, warm
- 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
- Ground black pepper
- In small skillet over low heat, toast garlic, covered, shaking pan frequently, until cloves are dark spotty brown and slightly softened, about 22 minutes. Off heat, let stand, covered, until fully softened, 15 to 20 minutes. Peel cloves and trim off the woody root end. Set aside.
- While garlic is toasting, place potatoes in large saucepan and cover with 1 inch cold water. Bring to boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain.
- Spear potato with dinner fork, then peel back skin with paring knife. Cut the potatoes into rough chunks.
- For smooth mashed potatoes, set food mill or ricer over now empty but still warm saucepan. Drop potatoes and garlic into hopper of food mill or potato ricer. Process or rice potatoes into saucepan. Stir in butter with wooden spoon until incorporated; gently whisk in half-and-half, salt, and pepper to taste. For chunky mashed potatoes, use a potato masher, decrease the half-and-half to 3/4 cup, and mash the garlic to a paste with a fork before you add it to the potatoes.
- Serve immediately.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
Make sure you check our best recipes below:
Cherry Dr. Pepper Cake – It’s a hit with kids and adults alike and, bonus, it’s so easy to make!
Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Bars Recipe – This cheesecake recipe goes father when cutting into bars.
Homemade Cream Cheese Biscuits Recipe – The best biscuit recipe you will ever need
Triple Chocolate Instant Pot Cheesecake Recipe – Creamy and rich with a strong chocolate flavor!
Homemade Fried Mozzarella Sticks Recipe – homemade mozzarella sticks have a perfectly crispy batter that is beyond delicious.