This Authentic Irish Scones Recipe is delightful, and the best way to start off your day. They have a light texture that is fluffy, and the flavor is absolutely amazing. The best part is that you only need seven simple ingredients to make these beauties, and they will become a memorable breakfast or brunch idea anytime you want them.
Authentic Irish Scones Recipe
These scones were much different from the usual types of scones that I have made. Light and fluffy, almost biscuit-like in texture. I was surprised to see that these scones called for room temperature butter in the dough instead of cold butter. All of the scone recipes that I have on this blog use cold, cubed butter in the dough. Another difference is that the baking sheet is preheated in the oven, so when you put the scones onto the sheet to bake, it is already nice and warm.
Served hot out of the oven with a smear of butter and thick jam, it only took one bite to know that these scones have quickly become one of my favorites.
We love to make scones for holiday mornings, so we have a great breakfast to start the day. We also enjoy making them for friends when they have a new baby or have been under the weather. There isn’t a reason I can think of when these Irish Scones wouldn’t be wonderful!
Do I Have to Add Currants?
No, if you do not like or have any currants, you can leave them out of these Irish Scones. If you want to keep with some kind of fruit in the scone, I recommend opting for a different dried fruit. Dried cranberries are a very popular choice and taste terrific. Dried cherries would add some lovely color and taste terrific too. If you are a fan of blueberries, consider adding some dried blueberries in place of the currants. Additionally, I find that dried apricots are a great option too. They are sweet and delicious and go well with the other ingredients.
What is the History of Irish Scones?
If you haven’t been fortunate enough to get to taste Irish Scones yet, you are in for a real treat. Irish Scones are dense, delicious, and simple to make. Irish Scones can be made with a variety of ingredients ranging from fruits to herbs and even oats. They have been around for a really long time and are mostly eaten for breakfast or brunch. Sometimes they are even eaten as an easy snack. Irish Scones are fluffy and easy to make too.
As you can see, you only need seven ingredients to make these lovely Irish Scones. They are perfection, and I can’t wait for you to taste them! Here is a breakdown of the ingredients you will need in order to make this scones recipe.
- Unbleached all-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Granulated sugar
- Fine salt
- Currants – If desired, you can switch the currants for any of your favorite dried fruits. Blueberries, cherries, apricots, or cranberries are all great choices.
- Unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- Heavy cream
How to Make Authentic Irish Scones
Once you taste these scones, you will know you have a new favorite breakfast idea. They are truly so simple to make, but they taste like they were put together in a fancy bakery. You won’t believe you cooked these in your own kitchen! Talk about a huge win.
First Step: Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put it in the oven.
Second Step: Sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Work the butter into the dry ingredients using your fingertips just until the mixture holds together. Combine the currants into the mixture.
Third Step: In the center of the dry ingredients, make a well and pour in 1/2 cup heavy cream. Quickly blend the ingredients together with a rubber spatula into a sticky ball. Add more heavy cream if needed. Do not over mix.
Fourth Step: Place dough onto a floured surface. Put the flour onto a rolling pin and roll the dough into a 1-inch thick square. Put a 2-inch biscuit cutter in flour and cut out each scone. Push extra scraps together and pat to 1-inch and continue cutting scones. Repeat as needed.
Fifth Step: Remove the baking sheet from the oven and arrange the scones 1 to 2 inches apart on the sheet. Bake for 8 minutes and flip over. Return to oven for another 4 minutes or until barely brown. Serve immediately.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
This Authentic Irish Scones Recipe is delightful, and the best way to start off your day. They have a light texture that is fluffy, and the flavor is absolutely amazing.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 cup currants
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Place a parchment paper lined baking sheet in the oven.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a mixing bowl. Using your fingertips, work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture just holds together. Add the currants and mix to combine.
- Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and pour in ½ cup of the heavy cream. Working quickly, blend ingredients together with a rubber spatula into a soft, slightly wet, sticky ball. Add more milk if needed to reach desired consistency. (do not overwork the dough or scones will be tough)
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Using a floured rolling pin, roll the dough into a 1-inch thick square. Dip a 2-inch biscuit cutter in flour and cut out the individual scones. Push scraps of dough together so that edges join; firmly pinch edges with fingertips to make a partial seal. Pat this remaining dough to 1- inch thick square and continue to cut 2-inch rounds. Repeat as necessary.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and arrange the scones 1 1/2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Bake 8 minutes, remove from oven and flip over the scones, return to oven and bake another 4 minutes or until just barely brown. Serve immediately.
Source: adapted from The Kitchn
- Category: Treats
- Cuisine: irish
If you enjoyed this awesome recipe, make sure you check out these other recipes for more yummy scones that you are sure to enjoy!
- Pumpkin Scones – The delicious flavor of pumpkin is always a favorite of mine. I can pretty much live off of all things related to pumpkin, especially in the fall months. It’s just so incredible!
- Simple Fresh Cranberry Scones – The tangy flavors in cranberry scones are perfection. I enjoy the gorgeous red color along with the flavor. They are impressive and lovely for feeding a crowd too.
- Dark Chocolate Rasberry Scones – Can you ever go wrong with chocolate and raspberries together? I sure don’t think you can! These are delectable and precisely what you have been looking for. I can’t wait for you to taste them.
- Fresh Strawberry Scones – Strawberries are always some of my favorite fruit. They are sweet, vibrant, and make the best scones in the world. Try these, and I am sure you will be pleased.