Quick, easy and so much better than fast food these beef tacos are the perfect choice for a busy weeknight dinner. I am always craving Mexican food and sometimes when I am running short on time I have been known to pick up some fast food Mexican or even buy taco mix at the store. I hate using those prepackaged taco seasoning packets because they are always loaded with tons of sodium and preservatives. So after another craving for a crispy beef taco I set out to find a delicious homemade recipe. The folks at America’s Test Kitchen always get it right; I have never tried one of their recipes that I don’t absolutely love.
These are no exception-I will be adding this easy meal to our busy week night schedule. These boldly spiced beef tacos combined with fresh toppings are sure to be a hit at your house. Once you see how easy it is to make your own taco seasoning at home you will never buy a taco seasoning packet again. When ready to serve, place the toppings in small bowls and let everyone top their tacos with whatever fillings they prefer.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 8 taco shells
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- hot pepper sauce to taste
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat the oil until simmering.
- Add the onion and cook until softened and lightly browned around the edges, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, spices, and 1 teaspoon salt; Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, to break up the meat.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, broth, vinegar, and sugar. Simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Spoon the meat mixture into warm taco shells and top with cheese, tomatoes, cilantro, avocado, lettuce, onion, sour cream and hot pepper sauce.