This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Quick, easy and so much better than fast food these beef tacos are the perfect choice for a busy weeknight dinner. I am always craving Mexican food and sometimes when I am running short on time I have been known to pick up some fast food Mexican or even buy taco mix at the store. I hate using those prepackaged taco seasoning packets because they are always loaded with tons of sodium and preservatives. So after another craving for a crispy beef taco I set out to find a delicious homemade recipe. The folks at America’s Test Kitchen always get it right; I have never tried one of their recipes that I don’t absolutely love.
These are no exception-I will be adding this easy meal to our busy week night schedule. These boldly spiced beef tacos combined with fresh toppings are sure to be a hit at your house. Once you see how easy it is to make your own taco seasoning at home you will never buy a taco seasoning packet again. When ready to serve, place the toppings in small bowls and let everyone top their tacos with whatever fillings they prefer.
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 8 taco shells
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- hot pepper sauce to taste
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we'll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat the oil until simmering.
- Add the onion and cook until softened and lightly browned around the edges, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, spices, and 1 teaspoon salt; Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, to break up the meat.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, broth, vinegar, and sugar. Simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Spoon the meat mixture into warm taco shells and top with cheese, tomatoes, cilantro, avocado, lettuce, onion, sour cream and hot pepper sauce.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!