This Better Than Sex Cake Pumpkin Cake is the best pumpkin cake recipe you’ll ever make. There’s only a handful of ingredients, so it’s easy to make, and it’ll impress everyone you know!
We’re well into fall here in the States. I think at this point we might as well just rename fall as “pumpkin season” as that’s all you see and hear about everywhere from September until Thanksgiving. As a pumpkin lover, this is one of my favorite times of the year, and I’ve been busy in the kitchen coming up with the best pumpkin recipes and have lately been on the hunt for the best recipe for a pumpkin poke cake with sweetened condensed milk.
Pumpkin better than sex cake is hands down, the best pumpkin dessert I’ve ever made. It’s rich, sweet and delicious and since it’s made with box cake mix, it’s so easy to make.
Since I’m all about keeping things easy, I knew the better than sex cake with pumpkin would be one that was not entirely made from scratch, but there was no way I was just grabbing a pumpkin cake mix (do they even make those???) and calling it a day.
Better Than Sex Pumpkin Cake
Instead, I decided to take some inspiration from my favorite pumpkin spice flavor and start this Better Than Sex Pumpkin Cake Recipe with a boxed spice cake mix. The spices in spice cake mix are actually similar to those you use to make pumpkin spice which happens also to be pumpkin pie spice mix. The added pumpkin flavor comes from the can of pumpkin puree.
Those two flavors combined make one delicious recipe for a pumpkin cake, but I wanted to take it a step further for the BEST pumpkin cake recipe and turn this into a pumpkin poke cake with sweetened condensed milk and add a cream cheese frosting and surprise topping.
Once this was completed and I tried a bite, there indeed was no name for it other than better than sex cake because, yes, it IS that good. You’ll understand once you try a piece!
With the added ingredients, I wouldn’t call this a straight up pumpkin spice cake, but it’s definitely a recipe for pumpkin cake you’ll want to try.
I think this Better Than Sex Cake recipe is so good that it should be served at all fall family and friend gatherings, including Thanksgiving. There is a chance that I’ll be making this cake for Thanksgiving dessert instead of traditional pumpkin pie!
One important thing to note is that this pumpkin cake does need to chill overnight to let the condensed milk absorb into the cake, so it needs to be made the day before it’s being served. Then, shortly before serving, you can make the cream cheese frosting and finish the cake. Personally, one of the reasons I love this better than sex pumpkin cake is that it’s a great recipe to make in advance. One less thing to do the day of Thanksgiving dinner!
If you’re looking for the best pumpkin dessert, then this pumpkin better than sex cake is it!
How To Make Better Than Sex Pumpkin Cake
When you taste how amazing this better than sex cake with pumpkin is, you are going to be shocked and thrilled by how easy it is. I love meals and desserts that you use minimal effort because life is so busy. Here are the steps to make this divine pumpkin dessert:
First Step: Begin by mixing together spice cake mix and pumpkin puree.
Note: It’s so important to understand that you do not make the cake mix according to directions!
Second Step: Evenly spread mixture into a cake pan.
Third Step: Bake until a toothpick comes out clean.
Fourth Step: Allow the cake cool for approximately 10 minutes before poking holes evenly throughout the cake.
Seventh Step: Mix together cream cheese, cool whip, and powdered sugar to make the frosting.
Eighth Step: Remove the cake from the fridge and spread over cooled pumpkin cake.
Ninth Step: Top with pieces of Heath candy bar. Serve chilled.
Pumpkin Cake Variations
I love that you can do all sorts of different things with this better than sex cake with pumpkin and I can’t wait to share these ideas. Try them all to figure out which way is your favorite! (They all taste fantastic!)
- Caramel – Drizzle caramel with on top of the poke cake when you put on the sweetened condensed milk. Then add a little bit more caramel on top of the frosting. Seriously so decadent and rich.
- Snickers – Don’t have Heath bars? No problem, just crush up some Snickers bars and sprinkle on top!
- Nuts – Add in some walnuts, pecans, or crushed peanuts to the cake batter. You can also add some on top before serving too.
- Cinnamon – Skip the candy bars altogether and sprinkle the frosting with some cinnamon for a garnish. It adds a little bit of flavor and looks so pretty.
- Chocolate – Toss in some mini chocolate chips in the cake batter. Chocolate and pumpkin are a match made in food heaven! Yummy!
- White Cake Mix – If you don’t have a spice cake mix on hand, that’s totally fine! You can use a white or yellow cake mix instead. You don’t have to add in any spices, but if you wanted to, you could add in 1/2 teaspoon of allspice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Then it will have that spicy flavor you are looking for.
- Raisins – If you love raisins, then you should toss in 1/2 cup of raisins to the cake batter. It adds a tastiness and texture that it’s hard not to devour.
- Craisins – While similar to raisins, craisins are extra sweet and just make all kinds of recipes taste better. Give it a try because I am sure you will love this pumpkin dessert even more.
What Do You Use To Make Holes In Poke Cake?
In order to make nice-sized holes in a poke cake, your best bet is to use the handle of a wooden spoon. Using a wooden spoon, the holes will be large enough to take in the sweetened condensed milk. If you don’t have a wooden spoon, you could use a large fork, but you will need to make a lot of holes to make it work.
Can I Make Mini Poke Cakes?
Yes, you can make mini pumpkin poke cakes. It’s pretty easy to transform this pumpkin better than sex cake into mini cakes by using muffin tins instead. Bake the mini cakes just like you would like regular cupcakes. You will need to cook them about half the time the full-sized cake requires. Then add in holes, put on frosting, and serve. Miniature pumpkin desserts are always a hit at parties and family dinners. I like mini cakes because they are in individual serving sizes and look so beautiful too.
Do You Refrigerate Pumpkin Cake?
Yes, you need to refrigerate this pumpkin better than sex cake. Due to the cool whip and cream cheese in the frosting, this pumpkin dessert will have to be refrigerated, or it will go bad. The pumpkin poke cake with sweetened condensed milk will last 5-6 days in the fridge.
How Can You Tell If Cake Is Bad?
If you don’t eat all the pumpkin poke cake right away, you may find yourself wondering if it’s still good or not. You can tell the pumpkin cake is passed it’s prime if it seems really hard, dry, soggy, or has mold. If you notice that it’s bad, toss it out. Additionally, when cake goes bad, you may also notice a strange odor too.
Difference Between Pumpkin Puree And Pumpkin Pie Filling
When you are at the market, and you see a can of pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie filling, it can be really confusing. The cans look similar, and there isn’t a ton of information to help you decide which to pick. Here are the main differences between the two:
- Pumpkin Puree – Made from cooked pumpkins that have been through a pureeing process and canned. There are no spices or seasonings added to the puree. If you have access to fresh pumpkins, you can actually make pumpkin puree easily yourself.
- Pumpkin Pie Filling – Pie filling is full of spices like cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and cloves. Additionally, pumpkin pie filling is sweetened too.
When To Serve Pumpkin Poke Cake With Sweetened Condensed Milk
You can serve this yummy better than sex pumpkin cake for the holidays, but you can actually serve it any time of year. I even like pumpkin in the summer! Here are a few ideas that this pumpkin dessert will go over well:
- Potlucks – Every time you go to a potluck, the dessert table is always the hot place to be. This spice cake with sweetened condensed milk goes over like hotcakes!
- Community Events – If you have to make a lot of cake to serve to a crowd, serve some pumpkin poke cake. It’s easy to make, goes a long way and everyone loves it.
- Weddings – You don’t have to have a traditional cake, especially if you get married in the fall. What a fun way to serve this flavorful cake.
- Showers – Whether you are hosting a bridal or baby shower, making a pumpkin cake is a wonderful idea. No one can resist that spicy cake with cream cheese frosting.
Pin this yummy Better Than Sex Pumpkin Cake For later:
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 14oz sweetened condensed milk
- 2 8oz thawed cool whip
- 1 8oz softened cream cheese
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 1 C crushed heath bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x9 baking dish with pam baking spray; set aside
- Using a rubber spatula, mix together the pumpkin puree and cake mix
- Spread evenly into the baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 28 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Once baked, allow the cake to cool onto the counter for 10 minutes
- Using a small wooden stick, poke holes throughout the cake
- Using the sweetened condensed milk, pour and spread over the cake. Making sure to push the milk into the holes
- Place cake into the fridge overnight
- Using a large mixing bowl, beat together the cool whip, cream cheese, and powdered sugar until smooth
- Spread evenly onto the top of the cake
- Top with crushed heath bars